I'm looking for help with a recent glaze issue.  I've been using the same clay and white glaze for a couple of years.  Now, all of a sudden, I'm getting tiny black specks in the glaze,  and it's ruining the clean look I'm trying to achieve.  I've used different batches of my perfered clay and glaze, installed new elements, throughly vacuumed the kiln, kept my bisqueware clean.  I don't know what else to do to, and don't know what's causing the black specks.  Does anyone have any insight on this issue?  

Hi April and welcome to the forum. 

Are you using commercial glaze or mixing up your own? Also, is it happening on all the pots or ones from a certain location in the kiln? What shape is the kiln jacket in, specifically the band around the lid (if it's an electric top loader). Are the specks visible on bisque? Post a closeup picture of the black specks and it might give us a clue as to what the cause is.

Thanks for replying!  I'm using a commercial glaze. I called the company but they haven't had any other complaints about the two glaze batch numbers I've used most recently.   I'm not seeing any visible flaws on the bisqueware.  I'm vacuuming the lid, shelves and posts too; it's happening on every piece, no matter where it's been in the kiln;  the kiln jacket seems to be in great shape, still fitting snug.  Sieving is the only thing I haven't tried yet, so I'll definitely do that.    Here's a photo... as you can see, my pottery is starting to look like cookies and cream ice cream, coincidentally, it's my favorite. 

IMG_1395.jpg

I wondered if it was rust too.  But all the glaze jars are plastic and my brushes don't appear to be rusted on the bands.  

As mentioned in another comment, I think I need to try sieving the glaze.    Surely that will help.  Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply.  I really appreciate it! 

If putting the glaze through an 80 mesh sieve doesn't solve the problem I would contact Laguna. Let them know everything you've done to solve the issue, glaze and clay batch numbers and your results. 

Rust particles (iron) can be all over many surfaces. Check your clay cutting wires-jar lids -vacumme the kiln again as well as the bands around the lid and the lid. It would also help by doing your elemnts with a soft brush on the vacume as well. Seive the glaze-Just think like a small ruct particle .

I would also test a pice of clay unglazed to see if the specks are in that body as well in a fire.

Since you are using a commercial glaze you have ZERO control other than sieving it. The finer the screen the better for those paricles look really small.

looks like rust to me.

Archived