NT vs Propane and glazes

Hi All,

I am posting here on behalf of a family member. She is a professional pot maker from  MN and has been firing on a city natural gas line for the last 25 years. About 2 years ago she decided to move her operations out to a location close to home and has been working on a propane line ever since. Just last year she started firing for the first time and the results were not as good  as she hoped. Certain glazes melted off the pots and some  appeared to have simply fallen off (cured on the pot and then fell off in solid chunks). My question is: has anyone used natural gas  and transitioned to propane and had these problems or does anyone have any suggestions when firing on propane? She uses a specific mix of  clay she orders. I do not  have access to the contents.

Is she using the same kiln? Propane has more BTUs per volume of gas than natural gas, so the orifice for a natural gas burner is larger for the same amount of heat. If it is the same kiln but the orifices in the burners were not changed for propane usage, they are burning much hotter than before.

34 minutes ago, Dick White said:

Is she using the same kiln? Propane has more BTUs per volume of gas than natural gas, so the orifice for a natural gas burner is larger for the same amount of heat. If it is the same kiln but the orifices in the burners were not changed for propane usage, they are burning much hotter than before.

Dick is right

Propane  has considerably more  BTU per cubic foot and often is used at a higher pressure. Hopefully the natural gas kiln was not simply relocated and hooked up to the propane. Firing kilns is all about rate of rise and final temperature at some controlled rate of rise as well as the cool down rate. 

Natural gas = approximately 1000 btu per cubic foot

Propane = approximately 2500 btu per cubic foot

without a decent understanding of this, her results are likely to be very random and unpredictable.

As noted orvice size on burners needs to be changed.

I'm not sure if this applies to your question but there is a difference in glaze appearance between the two fuels

for example many glazes look completly different in one fuel vs the other

My Otto Hino's Million dollar yellow for example does not turn yellow with natural gas but looks supoer yellow in propane.

This is never disscusssed much but  can be a huge issue.

Archived