how can i get this effect?

sima

hi everyone. i'm Sima from Iran.

i'm a beginner. i learned the basics of the glazes. but in here the common kilns the max temp is 1080 C degrees and we don't use cones. 

i want these effects as i see in every foreign pages and i really appreciate it if  anyone could help me to find these glaze recipes that i

could use in this temp? and in the bracelet i want the speckles. the dark spots in the glaze. how can i achieve that?

thank you.

peace

Sima

1711510402_Capture_2019-03-27-19-35-27.jpg.edfe96310f1e857edeadac2fe4ae4ba7.jpg1173215591.g_400-w_g.jpg.8b892d5f3657eecf278792a3c8c60abe.jpg1688833636_Capture_2019-03-27-12-55-27.jpg.e25bdd31dcd7fb20a1b99e1914dffd67.jpg

welcome to the forum, sima!

someone will be able to help you with this question.  there are many ways to achieve the results you like.  are you familiar with glaze ingredients?  i believe the lovely sliding down of the blue glaze tests are done with rutile.    i have seen the effects shown on the bracelets but have not done that myself except once with a white glaze on top of a black one.

no time right now, must load and start my kiln, but i will be back later.

The dark spots on the bracelet beads are from layering 2 different glazes over each other. The base glaze needs to be dark brown or black and fairly fluid. You apply that first then put a layer of a stiffer glaze on top, this can be white or coloured. When the glazes melt the fluid bottom glaze boils up through the top stiffer glaze. It will take some experimenting to come up with 2 lowfire glazes that do this. For the mottled blue glazes like OldLady said look for recipes using either rutile or titanium dioxide. Some of the materials we use in North America are going to be different that what you have available in Iran so it's hard to suggest recipes. Even with the same materials it takes testing as glaze recipes can give different results to different people depending on a number of factors such as the claybodies used, firing schedules, material differences etc.

There are glazes called Oil Spot  that may produce effects similar to that on the beads, but they are not low-fire glazes. Oil spot glazes are fired at over 2000 degrees. There is another glaze type, called Hare's Fur, that can produce effects similar to that on parts of the jug, but again, they are not low-fire formulations. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, oldlady said:

someone will be able to help you with this question.  there are many ways to achieve the results you like.  are you familiar with glaze ingredients?  i believe the lovely sliding down of the blue glaze tests are done with rutile.    i have seen the effects shown on the bracelets but have not done that myself except once with a white glaze on top of a black one.

Thank you. I really appreciated the help. the blue one, is it cobalt oxide with titanium oxide recipe? The color is mesmerising.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, oldlady said:

Thank you. I really appreciated the help. the blue one, is it cobalt oxide with titanium oxide recipe? The color is mesmerising.

22 hours ago, Min said:

The dark spots on the bracelet beads are from layering 2 different glazes over each other. The base glaze needs to be dark brown or black and fairly fluid. You apply that first then put a layer of a stiffer glaze on top, this can be white or coloured. When the glazes melt the fluid bottom glaze boils up through the top stiffer glaze. It will take some experimenting to come up with 2 lowfire glazes that do this. For the mottled blue glazes like OldLady said look for recipes using either rutile or titanium dioxide. Some of the materials we use in North America are going to be different that what you have available in Iran so it's hard to suggest recipes. Even with the same materials it takes testing as glaze recipes can give different results to different people depending on a number of factors such as the claybodies used, firing schedules, material differences etc.

I'm open to experimenting and learning, unfortunately, glaze knowledge resources in my city are very limited, so i must learn most of it by myself. On the other hand i'm a do-it-all-myself kind of a woman, so i have no worries.:rolleyes: Just need a kick start and basics. 

The blue glaze is really mesmerising. Is it cobalt in it's recipe? And about the bracelet, can you elaborate on what is stiffer glaze? How can i make it?

Thank you for sharing 

finished loading kiln, at last!

do you have access to anything like our public libraries?   i am spoiled by the quick access to everything through my local library.  books of glaze recipes are available and there are many online.  

this website has a section called ceramic arts network.  if you are able to download their free publications, try asking for the glaze book.  i hope you have access to a printer, if you do, you can make your own booklet.

hare's fur glaze is named that because that lovely effect on the glaze tests looks like the coloring of a wild rabbit.  not a common brown or blue or whatever color but it has a combination of several colors in tiny lines next to each other.  what i called the "sliding down" in my first answer.  that is caused by the inclusion of rutile, which is a sort of dirty titanium.   if you have access to rutile or titanium to blend with other ingredients, you can achieve this effect.

going out to turn up the kiln right now.  

9 hours ago, sima said:

The blue glaze is really mesmerising. Is it cobalt in it's recipe? And about the bracelet, can you elaborate on what is stiffer glaze? How can i make it?

The bottle form could be from a black glaze that contains cobalt in a base glaze and then other glazes that contain rutile or titanium dioxide trailed or poured over top into the bands / stripes of blue shades.  If a base glaze contains cobalt then it's not necessary to have cobalt in a second covering glaze as the cobalt from the base should bleed up through the covering glaze. If you want to try layering glazes to get that effect then cobalt plus iron oxide (and maybe some copper or chrome or manganese) in the base then a second glaze with either rutile or titanium dioxide to layer overtop. 

Regarding the beads and a stiffer glaze, you want a glaze that doesn't move much when fired.  1080C is approximately cone 03 so have a look for some majolica type glazes. Here is a link to some recipes for 03, I don't know if you have access to these materials. To colour the glaze do some tests with what ceramic colourants are available to you with a majolica base. To get an opaque glaze then leave the opacifiers (tin and or zircopax) in the glaze, for a transparent glaze leave those out.

It's going to take a lot of testing to get glazes that look like those you posted. I would suggest trying some simpler glazes first so you can get some things made while working towards those ones at the same time. 

Archived