Firing low-fire glaze at mid-fire range

Yes but if store wont take it back you could test a pot but put the pot on a biscuit of bisqued clay in case it can tolerate that amount of heat work.

Non functional ware you could maybe put a glazed pot in your bisque firing assuming you're firing to cone 04? Be a little over but notby much..and see if that is ok..

I'd try the store refund or swop first though

You'd have to test it. Try it on the inside of a bowl, or if you do it on a pot, put that put inside of something else to catch drips, like a little pinch pot. If you plan on using it for functional work, you should have the glaze tested for leaching since you're not firing it to manufacturer's recommendations, or don't use it in areas that will come into contact with food.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:04 AM, LordBaca said:

I wasn't paying attention when purchasing some glazes and ended up getting cone 05. In anyone's experience what would happen to such glaze if fired to cone 5-6? I would assume the colors would darken quite a bit and the glaze might end up running right off the piece? 

My colleague and I routinely use a low fire (cone 05) clear glaze on cone 10R ware fired to cone 10.  I would expect no problems at cone 5 firing. Test first of course.  Keep application thickness thin until you have a track record of success on test pieces.

My area has a number of online garage sales (you just meet the buyer at Dunkin's parking lot or whatever), plus there is the wonderful online Potters Attic. I have sold many items I no longer needed/wanted--like jars of 05 glazes (I fire at 5-6). People seem to be heavily in the market for all kinds of ceramic supplies if the price is fair. Maybe you could offload the glaze and get what you need. There is no fee for the ads, and it's usually a quick turn-around. 

Archived