How do you get low fired matt glazed dinnerwar resisting to cutler marks?

Alyaa

Hi I have a problem I bought porcelain plates fired only at 1200 degree centigrade as per my request inorder to be a little pourous to accept the glaze and then fired the glaze at 1060 C as recommended for it , the results of the pourousity test was 3% and when I tried using a knife on the plates it caused a scratch and I am really depressed as I spent a lot of money for these plates I don’t know what is wrong is it the glaze is not yet mature or the clay is not yet mature?

Matte glazes will often scratch unless they are properly formulated. A matte glaze that scratches easily is probably also the type that will not clean very easily, so there's a hygiene issue there. There's also a good chance that the low fire glaze is not going to fit well on a cone 12 porcelain. Is it crazing? Glaze fit is very important on low fire work because if the glaze crazes, liquids will seep into the wall of the pot, where it cannot be removed, and can grow bacteria.

Since your plates aren't really useable as is, I would go ahead and fire them hotter and see what happens. At some point they may become useable once the glaze melts enough.

Cutlery marks are generally a result of a hard rough surface wearing away the cutlery. Zirconium silicate (Zicopax)  whites generally can cutlery mark as well for the same reason.  Microscopically these surfaces are sharp and very hard so they wear away a bit of the cutlery. With respect to absorption, firing a cone twelve clay to maturity or near maturity would be the best way to minimize it.

if you are ok with 3% absorption but just want to re glaze with a gloss lowfire glaze, you could try that. It probably has minimal risk, might solve your cutlery mark and in the end maybe decrease your absorption a bit. Many lowfire glaze potters layer. There is some limit to refires though, can’t do it for ever.

I mention Zirconium based white, because even though it will appear gloss, zirconium glossy glazes can mark as if they are rougher because the zircon does not melt and is rather rough microscopically.  So glossy glazes can be rough and cutlery mark as well.

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/recipes/cone_10_silky_dolomite_matte_base_glaze_39.html

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/glossary/glossary_cutlery_marking.html

Some good information about high fired, silky/matte glazes which dont cutlery mark or craze. If you're learning about glazes & faults, Tony's website is a WEALTH of wonderful information!

Just a caution that you should consider all these suggestions as possible pathways that need to be tested.  You are in unknown territory so pick one approach that you want to try, test it on one piece to see what happens.  That way if the test doesn't work, the whole set isn't affected. 

Archived