Getting Leather Hard Clay in a cold place???? Temperatures?

JASON GANLEY

I am a high school teacher.  The way my building is positioned, it is really hard to get sunlight to help with drying out slabs to leather hard.

Since we only have 45 minutes each class, then 10 minutes to clean up, wheel thrown items can sit on their shelves overnight and be ready to trim 24 hrs later.

However, with slabs, unless there is sun, forget about it. My morning students can't naturally dry slabs.  And 24 hrs is too long for thin slabs to sit out before going too far towards bone dry. 

I've tried a fan, but it just doesn't seem to be that great, very uneven. And it Takes a long time. 

I've put slabs on my stone shelves in the 28 cubic foot gas kiln on pilot heat only, but I worry about drying rates, etc. 

Any work-around ideas?

Has anyone made heat boxes, used commercial heat lamps, incubators, light bulbs in a box, doored cabinet hacks, etc?

And what is a good temperature to safely dry slabs, work?

what are the slabs sitting on overnight?  drywall will remove moisture and if it is too much, a damp to almost wet towel will restore flexibility to a too-dry slab in a very short time, minutes usually.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Archived