stilts sticking to glazed pottery

CPT

Hello~

Just did a test fire to some of my glazed pieces. I used a clear overglaze for all pieces and they turned out pretty good. Only thing is that the stilts stick to the bottom of my wares and when I remove them it leaves small 'holes'....I don't want to dry foot, but is there another way to prevent this?

Thanks!

Hello~

Just did a test fire to some of my glazed pieces. I used a clear overglaze for all pieces and they turned out pretty good. Only thing is that the stilts stick to the bottom of my wares and when I remove them it leaves small 'holes'....I don't want to dry foot, but is there another way to prevent this?

Thanks!

I'm assuming its a low fire cone 06 glaze and the stilts are 3 point wire or ceramic tips which leave a mark in glaze on bottoms

This is part of the process. If you want you can dremel tool the marks smooth. Or as you mentioned leave a dry foot which is also fine.

Low fire is not my medium but I did some on another planet long ago and still recall the process.

Others know better than I in this temp. range.

Mark

Thanks for all of your responses! ~ Yes, I did a Cone 6 for glaze fire, and I used Duncan's Pure Brilliant overglaze so that the pieces are food safe.

I may just dry foot the bottoms of the pieces or use a dremel tool, I don't know....:(

I'm wondering what those 'white abrasive stones'are, as mentioned above??

Thanks for all of your responses! ~ Yes, I did a Cone 6 for glaze fire, and I used Duncan's Pure Brilliant overglaze so that the pieces are food safe.

I may just dry foot the bottoms of the pieces or use a dremel tool, I don't know....:(

I'm wondering what those 'white abrasive stones'are, as mentioned above??

http://www.bigcerami...rkcleaningstone

Guest Big Electric Cat

If you are a wheel user, you can use a foam bat to do the same thing. Just put your bat on the wheel, spray it down with water, and let the wheel do the scrubbing.

I have done this with mugs and little trays. It takes about five minutes to do a hunded trays, once you get your rhythm going.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a wheel user, you can use a foam bat to do the same thing. Just put your bat on the wheel, spray it down with water, and let the wheel do the scrubbing.

I have done this with mugs and little trays. It takes about five minutes to do a hunded trays, once you get your rhythm going.

what kind of foam bat do you use.... I've never heard of that before, sound like it would make life easier.

Archived