Unidentified Older Brent Wheel

Teala62

Hi again,

I found a person near me who has an old wheel.   He only knows it is a robert brent wheel. It has a .5 hp motor. I am going to call Amaco with the serial number tomorrow to see if I can find out how old it really is.  In the meantime, does anyone know what wheel this might be?   The person does not know anything much about it just that it has been at his house for a long time.     Here is a link to a video that  shows how it sounds. Old Brent Wheel Video.   It is a very dark video, but it is the wheel in the picture.      It sounds like some of the wheels at the college where I take classes EXCEPT I think I hear some type of rubbing or banging.  I am also not sure that the bat pins are where they belong.  They look like they are too close to the edge of the wheel, but I do not use bats nor am I throwing right now. I am mostly hand building so maybe that is where the bat pins are.  I always thought they were 10 inches so if this wheel head is 14 inches they look too far out. He said it is a 14inch wheel head, but he also said one wheel is 13 and one wheel is 12.   I don't know what he is talking about.  In addition, I am not sure when I look at the video that it is spinning true .  I just can't see it.  I am probably going to drive the hour if he will tell me when I can come see it and see if I can tell in person.  He is asking $400 or best offer.  I am not sure I would offer 400.  I am thinking maybe $250 or $300.  The whining at high speeds is familiar to me, but some of the other noises I don't know about.  If you can hear things that are a problem, how difficult would they be to have repaired and how much money might I need to do it properly?  Thank you, Carole

1174892740_OldBrentWheel.jpg.b05b0a260fdae37e2a5774406caa8b4f.jpg    

Just saw this post

I seem to be answering this a lot lately about these very early Brents

This wheel is an original from the very early 70s-like 1971.They changed to the plastic ridged deck in 72-or 73.I have owned 2 of them . 1str one I bought in 1971 from Brent himself . It was this very wheel with that metal splash pan.I bought a used one about 15 years ago for $200 and sold it for $200.My original  wheel has a new motor ,new controller, new wheel head and all new pulleys and new foot pedal.The deck is the only original part.

Heres the deal-that wheel head has no flange to hold a newer Brent plastic splash pan so know this going in also that foot pedal is the original with zero spare parts so soon the speed control in foot pedal will brake and you will need a new pedal-they are $222.00. This will be for sure

Sounds like the bearing is going on the wheel head(see if you can move the head at all-if it it loose or rumbly a new wheel head is $220.00

This is a easy fix and you will need to drill one new hole in deck for new wheel head.You maybe able to have a machine shop drill out that old 5/8 pulley to fit the new 3/4 wheelhead shaft.?This could save you some$-I may have some spare old belts as I hoard parts and no longer use this system

If this is true then you will need new pulleys as that  twin belt drive is no longer supported as the new wheel head shafts are 3/4 inch and that one is 5/8th

so new pulleys one for the wheel head and one for the motor shaft-as well as the new belt with 4 groves.-maybe $160???

If the motor is blue it also original (my guess is its all original)That motor may last your lifetime but if it goes out anew one is over $400 from Brent-maybe 200$ to rebuild

The pins are 10 inch apart so thats a 12 inch wheelhead.

The best part of this wheel is the deck is flat and made from really heavy steel(no longer are they this well made)

My suggestion is plan on some repairs so if you buy this pay no more than $200 but less would be better

I would pass on this wheel unless it almost free and has not been used much.This could be a money pit.If its almost free its a maybe.

Thank you very much.  I thought it had to be very old because I have never seen anything like it before. I got interrupted in my conversations with the man because my sister-in-law died so I went to PA to be with my brother.  I think my instincts on these things are growing with each one I try to find.  In OH, PA, IL, IN, KY you cannot find a Brent that is less than $700-$800.  Then, they are usually 15-20 or more years old.  I found one that a man has about 8 hours from me, but he also has an L and L kiln.  He only wants to sell it as a group.  He has broken the kiln down because he is moving so he cannot show me if it lights up let alone heats.  His stuff is 8 years old and he said he bought it new.  I am about ready to just give up. I keep throwing a large net and every time I find one and offer less the people refuse my offer and come back at full price, decide to keep it, or sell it in a garage sale because I from out of town. I think I am just going to step back for a while and see what I can do by taking classes and just do what I can do there.   

Mark C found me a wheel on Ebay that had a new motor and in good condition that was pick up only in my city.  Mark suggested I offer him his buy it now price instead of bidding for it,  the bidding had gone up to $450 before the seller closed the auction.   I paid $300 for it,  I also just bought a new kiln for $250 to replace my old paragon.   I found it at a estate sale,  they advertised they had kilns,  you have to get to the sale early because the kilns go fast.  They had 3 really small kilns in the garage that were pretty used up, they told me there was a kiln in the basement.  It looked brand new but I had a feeling there was something off about it  so I offered them $250 for it.  When I got it home  it had a new bottom for it the old one had a pot melted into it.  I noticed the kiln sitter didn't move,  we took it apart and a cone had been shoved up inside of the tube.  It had melted and even broke the tube.   It cost me $50 for a replacement part.    Before you start buying used equipment you need to know someone who is a fix it wizard like my husband.    Buying used kilns you should always be prepared to replace the elements.   I only ended up investing a total of $300 in this kiln but I checked on how much new wires would cost before I bought it.    Taking some classes and helping with the kilns will be a good way to go, but I would keep looking for that bargain.    Denice

Hello Denice and Mark,

I am sure that before I begin really looking for a kiln, I would have to have a great deal more experience. I have been watching and reading the forums because it is hotter than Hell outside and I do not do well in heat and humidity.

However, having said I was going to give up, I just searched again and a wheel that was way overpriced I think has been re-listed.  If it is, here is a picture of the wheel head.  I have not seen one look like this.  Since I cannot see it in person,  I am putting the picture here.  Do you think it is pitted like old aluminum pans used to get?   It is a brent C and although I do not necessarily want a brent c, at the right price and condition, I know the brents where I take class do work and enough people here love and make a living using their brents.

Has anyone seen a wheel head look like this?  It looks to me like the bat pins could be "rusted or stuck" in from this photo, but I am not sure.  If it is available and he sends me a video, I could go get this this week.

00A0A_4JUY0yaUC5x_1200x900.jpg

I used a Clay boss we had on loan for 6 months or so before the owner needed it back and I bought a Shimpo Whisper because of it being quiet. I thought the clay boss was just fine and you can get a brand new one from Clay-King with free shipping for $610.

http://www.clay-king.com/pottery_wheels/speedball_pottery_wheels/speedball_clay_boss_pottery_wheel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIor-WueeF3AIVELXACh0VEwqUEAQYASABEgKravD_BwE

As far as waiting for experience for a kiln, if your talking about an electric kiln with a controller, they are pretty straightforward and easy to operate.

That is lime scale on the wheel, the last person who owned it had hard water.   You can  remove it with a  vinegar solution and a scouring pad or don't worry about it.  It is more of a visual problem,  shouldn't  effect your throwing.    I was curious why you didn't want a Brent C?   Denice

• 1 year later...

i have a brent model A which was a new model. i bought it in 1973. i am still using it and enjoying it. 

i bought a second brent “ modern” one. it is  a “brent classic” model. i have replaced the motor and now it has died again. the older model is much more dependable. i have made no repairs since 1973. close to 50 years.

Archived