What is the one piece of your own pottery that you love the most?| Jan. 16, 2012

You might be at a point in your career where you have made thousands of pieces or hundreds or dozens.

Some of them wonderful and some of them, not so great.

Is there one you love the most ... it might not be the best, the raciest, the most shining example of what you can do ...

but there is something about it ... you never could sell it.

Or maybe you are the type that has to keep it for a while, learn from it before you let it go?

What is the one piece of your own pottery that you love the most?

Here are three of mine that are in what I like to call my "Permanent collection".

post-1585-132674470476_thumb.jpg

post-1585-13267447128_thumb.jpg

post-1585-132674481509_thumb.jpg

post-1585-132674470476_thumb.jpg

post-1585-13267447128_thumb.jpg

post-1585-132674481509_thumb.jpg

Good topic, I never really thought about it before but I guess I keep a couple of pieces from each area of pottery that I have delved into over the last 40 years. I must keep them as a history of my work I thought I didn't care about keeping the pieces, I like the process. My favorite work if from a Anazai Research group I was with that worked on replicating the original work and process, it looks just like the work in the museums. Denice

You might be at a point in your career where you have made thousands of pieces or hundreds or dozens.

Is there one you love the most ... it might not be the best, the raciest, the most shining example of what you can do ...

but there is something about it ... you never could sell it.

Or maybe you are the type that has to keep it for a while, learn from it before you let it go?

What is the one piece of your own pottery that you love the most?

Here are three of mine that are in what I like to call my "Permanent collection".

Wow, Chris that is tantamount to asking which of my children do I love the most. I put a part of me into every piece I make and while some may be more beautiful, or more desirable to some I have a warm spot in my heart for each and every one. I guess if I were to make production pottery I may feel differently but each of my pieces has a history and a reason for being. I was intimately involved in their creation and I like them all, even some that didn't survive.

Regards,

Charles

Is there one you love the most?

Over the years I've made some pots that came out especially nice. Pots that I was extra proud to show. But, I have never been so attached to any of my pottery that I wouldn't sell it or give it away.

Even the pieces I made when first learning to work with a pottery wheel don't hold that much significance to me anymore. I like having them in my shop but if they weren't there, others would

go in their places.

Daryl in Idaho

I never seem to keep much past 25-30 years of production work.

The pots that seem to stick around are my old matt stoneware dinnerware from the mid 70's which is used daily

I cannot get this look anymore in my porcelain loads these days-I really like the old matt stoneware from my past-I could not make a living selling it but have always liked it

or this raku pot I gave my mother who passed in the 80's and I now have it back-Reminds me of days gone buy with clay

or some more current salt jugs from past 5 years of salt firings-these jugs come and go but I always have a few on the shelve or this classic shape miniature salt pot-It will stay in glass case

Mark

Archived