Pugmill

I am interested in buying a pug mill.  I am a slab construction hand-builder.  I probably only produce about 300 lb for pugging per month.  I am looking for a de-airing pug mill under $3000, all inclusive. Looking right now at a Bluebird, Bailey and Axner.  Any recommendations?   Never owned one before.  So advice would be helpful.  Ease of cleaning is important.

hi, wendy,   i have a bailey that is in west va.  i do not use it often but it is wonderful to have it available.  mine is one of the first ones jim sold for porcelain use.  it has stainless steel in the important parts and when i had a problem because of a bolt that was not, it was fixed immediately when i let him know.  it was about $2,000 when i bought it back then.  more now.   i only clean it once a year when i come down here.  if you use only one clay, there is no need to clean it.

call bailey and talk to them.  my only concern when i got it was the diameter of the pug.  that was because i had a venco which had a larger diameter.  it took awhile for me to recognize that the difference was not significant.

there is an old thread here by pugaboo who bought the mixer pugger model.  much more money but it suits her needs.

alice,  yes, it is me

My thoughts are stick to Peter pugged or a Bailey -either way get the de-airing model. If you use porcelain  get a stainless model.

I have seen a few on e-bay(potter pugger)  for under 3k come up. I bought mine that way and had it shipped via truck.all for under 3k.

The Bluebirds are really old school . The Petter Puggers mix and pug which a great feature.The smaller ones are strictly hobby in nature-The model VPM 20 is a solid good size for your needs .There is one for sale now on Potters attic on Facebook in Maine if I recall.Nom telling if its sold yet?

I have a Bailey and have been extremely satisfied.    Model MSV 25T De-airing.   Had to replace a switch and the company sent it out immediately and walked us through the replacement.    Excellent customer service on the few times we have needed anything.    I only use one type/color of clay and have never cleaned it.    If you don't let it sit for more than a month, you  don't have to clean it.    Pretty sure I read that in the Bailey manual.   We pug a minimum of 600 pounds a month.      I also have a Bailey electric slab roller.   I wish I had purchased this equipment when I bought my first kiln.   I have a production pottery business and am not sure I would still be doing it without these 2 pieces of equipment.

Archived