wheel head bearing service

C.Banks

So this older shimpo 21 is developing some side to side play and becoming more noisy under load.

I've serviced the bearing on a 70's rk(2?) and this looks a bit simpler but before i start removing things i figured i'd throw a picture out and see what advice might be available.

pulley.jpg.ad63e173996b298aae20b5cb438004a1.jpgThis pulley and the wheel head will wiggle :(:)

The other wheel needs service as well but i'm uncertain the exact model number. I found one video showing an RK2 with the round red and green on off buttons as well as direction toggle but every other picture i find does not show the on/off buttons so I'm unsure of the model number. If someone can confirm the model number for the 70's rk with round red and green on/off buttons I'll be more comfortable finding a bearing part number to match. I know i wrote them down some where but unfortunately not in my little black book.

any help or advice is appreciated

it's been kept well and i cleaned up the cobwebs ;)

I'm indeed hoping the number is on the old bearing or the manual will help. I'm near certain the Shimpo 21 is an RK10 with either a 1/4 or 1/3 hp motor

It's the other RK i'm unsure about. When i search for pictures of RK2s none but the one youtube video show the two round on/off buttons.

The clever me would have written the bearing number down in am more convenient place, like my trusty book i take everywhere, but clever me isn't always the present me.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of years ago, I rebuilt me rk2, these are the bearings I ordered

Shimpo rk2

WSPDRRG Drive Ring - RK2 $37.25

I ordered them from www.vxb.com. 
Here are the 3 different sizes: 
Kit9705 6204-2NSE Nachi Bearing 20x47x14:Sealed:C3:Japan 
Kit9706 6205-2NSE Nachi Bearing 25x52x15:Sealed:C3:Japan 
Kit9703 6202-2NSE Nachi Bearing 15x35x11:Sealed:C3:Japan

On 12/24/2017 at 8:19 PM, Johnmicheal said:

A couple of years ago, I rebuilt me rk2, these are the bearings I ordered

Shimpo rk2

WSPDRRG Drive Ring - RK2 $37.25

I ordered them from www.vxb.com. 
Here are the 3 different sizes: 
Kit9705 6204-2NSE Nachi Bearing 20x47x14:Sealed:C3:Japan 
Kit9706 6205-2NSE Nachi Bearing 25x52x15:Sealed:C3:Japan 
Kit9703 6202-2NSE Nachi Bearing 15x35x11:Sealed:C3:Japan

thanks for this

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what I was wondering about as suddenly my Shimpo RK 10 - 21 seems to be noisy and sort of felt like something was binding.     Is there anything else besides bearings that might cause this?  Virtually no maintenance has taken place, and the wheel seemed fine last time it was used before Christmas.  

Thanks so much.

Archived