Thin Pieces Close To Lid

LeeU

How close to the lid in an electric cone 6 fire can 1/8 " thin flat small pieces (think very flat pendants) be placed? Would be about 1 inch clearance. Is that a really bad idea or is it a "not to worry it will probably be fine" situation? Thanks in advance--hoping for a quick bit of input so I can fire tonight-long preheat and slow cool. 

I've done it with small flat items like pendants and Ornaments and about a 2" clearance and had no issues. I would just make sure there is 1 coil above the shelf to get heat into the section. I do a slow glaze fire to cone 6 with a TC offset so I can do a 10 minute hold at the end to give everything time to even out and get the heatwork they need without over firing.

Good luck!

T

Thanks for the quick response---everything came out fine--Marcia-the whole load was thin flat pieces, so no rims to tuck things under. Bciske, I'm broke, so sue me. Pugaboo--I slow glaze and slow cool this type of load but what is a TC offset?  Mark-Frosty the Snowman was kind..he has such a nice demeanor. Neil gets the educator award-thanks. 

A TC Offset is a thermocouple Offset. I have programmed in a cone 6 TC Offset on my kiln. I found that doing this gave me the results I was looking for in my glazes. I was having trouble with pinholes and such but when I did a hold at my max temp then I was overfiring the pieces. I tried a slow cool but my glazes went too matt on me. When I programmed in the TC Offset on a cone 6 firing it reduced the max temperature reached so when I add on the hold I get a perfect cone 6 bend, no pinholes, no matt surfaces and no overfired pieces. Doing this has also allowed my Kiln to fire more evenly from the very top to bottom and shelf to shelf even right under the lid. I tried a lot of different things to get the results I wanted and this did the trick.

T

Archived