I've Thought About Using A Dutch Oven As A Low Fire Saggar. Any Experience With This?

I think it can be done but saggars I am familiar with fire to lower temperatures than 04. I have seen people use metal cans for saggars.

Linda and Charlie Riggs fire to 1650 F and hold for 20 minutes. I follow their procedure. This is about cone 09 .

The pieces can be bisqued hotter but usually not because of the terra sig.

Marcia

I used to use metal cans as a sagger when firing pieces in a trash incinerator. Just for experimental purposes, but there were some interesting results. Too bad the school district decided to eliminate the incinerator and opt for trash service. Had a smokey empty room for years after that thing was hauled out. It was about the size of a 40 cubic foot kiln.  Only reached about 1200F at the hottest point.

best,

Pres

I do make my own saggars. Those were used by people in my workshop. The saggars in this photo are mine in my raku kiln. usually people fire saggars in a gas kiln to avoid toxic problems on elements. The tin cans are a tight fit and should alleviate that problem. I'm not sure a dutch oven is air tight.

post-1954-0-47893600-1500328903_thumb.jpg

Archived