Bisque Firing

I've just bought my first kiln and have never had to operate one myself before, I wondered if anyone has any advice on how long and on what temperature I should for the clay from?

I've got an 11.6 C.L. Kiln with a max temp of 1100C, I'm not sure what temperature I should bisque fire it at, also should I heat it up in stages or just set it to the highest temperature that it needs to get to?

I use earthenware clay, not sure if this affects it much.

Thanks in advance 😊

First at what temperature do you want to fire your earthenware. It can vary. 

999 to 1060 is a good range for bisque. Check with your supplier first to see what the clay can take.. You don't want to fire too hot before glazing. 

Marcia

Thanks for the quick reply, I've looked on the website and it says 1101C is the maximum it can take.

I suggest you go to the library and get a couple of books.  This is not a stove--set and forget.  Also suggest you learn about firing range of your clay and the glazes.   Learn the difference between ^05 and ^5.  Enjoy the journey.

It's not just the clay firing temp you need to look at. With earthenware glazes the bisque firing is sometimes the hotter of the two firings and the glaze firing is done to a lower temp. Have a look at what temp the glazes mature at also.

Hi, Jasmine, welcome to the kiln club.  It's a whole new world when you can control the firing of your work  :)  But as warned above, things just got a little more complicated... there's some basic technical knowledge you need to absorb to learn successful firing.  It's not hard, but just takes building up a little know-how.

Did your kiln come with a manual?  My Paragon came with an extensive guide about how to fire it for different clays and for different purposes (bisque vs glaze).  Even if it didn't come with a manual, all the big manufacturers provide a lot of info on their websites about how to get started using your kiln.  (My Skutt didn't come with the manuals, but I downloaded them from the website.)  I can help you find a manual if you bought a used kiln that didn't come with one, and that's a good place to start.

What make and model is your kiln?  I have a Skutt KS818 (and a Paragon A66-B made in 1967, and still going strong as my bisque kiln).

Do you know the specifics about your clay?  The manufacturer may have recommendations, and just knowing will help the crowd here make recommendations.   For instance, I throw Laguna WC-401.  If your clay came in a box, it should have a label of some kind.

That's a good place to start...

jasmine, your post is a little frightening to those of us who know a little more about working with ceramic materials.  it is just a little like a small child asking how fast he should run to cross the freeway.  do not feel insulted in any way, i just want to help, too.

you really need to know a great deal about a very complicated subject before you fire your kiln.  maybe you do have that education but your post does not indicate that fact.  can you tell us a little more about your experience level?  many of our members are still novices and yet they understand that they are not being criticized but taught when someone asks this kind of question.

Archived