Turning A White Liner Glaze To A Light Buff Color

I've tested this white liner from John Britt's book and it seems to work well for me so far. I'm thinking I'd like to add a little color to turn it into a light buff tone

Nepheline Syenite 30
Silica 10
Whiting 9.4
EP Kaolin 13.4
Talc 17.2
Gerstley Borate 20
Zircopax 10
Bentonite 2

My guess would be that since I have yellow ocher and red iron oxide I can add 0.5% to 1% of either.

Would this work or should I dig up a new recipe?

I'm firing to ^6

The base has 10% zircopax. You could probably reduce that to 5% and then add the ochre or iron. I like rutile for an oatmeal buff color. Which John Britt book and what atmosphere/temp. If High Fire Stoneware its one answer and Midrange oxidation or reduction are two more. Testing is always the best way to get what you want.

Marcia

Which John Britt book and what atmosphere/temp.

John Britts Mid Range, ^6 oxidation, Stoneware

The base has 10% zircopax. You could probably reduce that to 5% and then add the ochre or iron. I like rutile for an oatmeal buff color.

Thanks, I'll test that

LIke Maria, I like rutile for buff color, reducing the Z. Another route to go, that will need recalculation would be to change out the kaolin for another clay. Depending on the clay used could get buff coloring.

best,

Pres

Lets say I want to do a series of 5 tests in 1% increments.. I mix 100g of dry materials and add water to get 135 sp.

So I add 1% (1g) rutile to the mixture and dip a tile into the glaze.

Now I want to make a 2% test, do I just add 1g more or do I have to recalculate the amount of remaining glaze?.

I'm thinking if I keep on adding 1g then dip a new tile by the time I get to 5% it really won't be 5% most likely higher and when I go to make a larger batch I won't repeat my results for the shade I want to duplicate.

Am I overthinking this?

Edit in

Lets assume I will stir/mix in the rutile each time.

here is what I used when I taught Glazes. Prepare 15 test tiles # 1-15

Mix 250 grams and mix with water. Pour equal amounts into 5 plastic cups which represent 50 grams batches. Make rows 5,4,3,2,1

Row 1-5 List as #1 base, #2 add say 3%iron, #3 add 2%rutile, #4 add 2%ochre, #5 add 2%nickel or .5 cobalt carb...whatever you want

Row 2 take a tsp of #1 and #2 and mix in cup apply to testtile #6. Do the same for the following 3 tiles 7-9

Row 3  take a tsp of #2 and mix with 3,4,5, onto tiles 10-12

Row 4 take tsp of #3 and mix with tsp of 4,and 5

Row 5 mix a tsp of 4 with tsp of 5

You end up with 15 color mixes.plus you get to see a progression which gives you the idea of what is going on. try titanium if you have any.

Marcia

number tiles 1-15

Row A     1,2,3,4,5                  1,2,3,4,5

B             1+2,3,4,5                 6,7,8,9

C             2+ 3.4.5                   10,11,12

D            3+4,5                         13,14

E            4+5                             15

yes. Each row uses the progressive number plus the remained numbers. 50 grams in the liquid glaze is enough for all the teaspoons. You can number the cups 1-5 and have a 6th cup to mix the X + y in. then put the mixes into another container. It is interesting to see what the combo of all looks like, Make that #16.

here is what I used when I taught Glazes. Prepare 15 test tiles # 1-15

Mix 250 grams and mix with water. Pour equal amounts into 5 plastic cups which represent 50 grams batches. Make rows 5,4,3,2,1

Row 1-5 List as #1 base, #2 add say 3%iron, #3 add 2%rutile, #4 add 2%ochre, #5 add 2%nickel or .5 cobalt carb...whatever you want

Row 2 take a tsp of #1 and #2 and mix in cup apply to testtile #6. Do the same for the following 3 tiles 7-9

Row 3  take a tsp of #2 and mix with 3,4,5, onto tiles 10-12

Row 4 take tsp of #3 and mix with tsp of 4,and 5

Row 5 mix a tsp of 4 with tsp of 5

You end up with 15 color mixes.plus you get to see a progression which gives you the idea of what is going on. try titanium if you have any.

Marcia

I did this yesterday with one base and 5 colorants along with one error on a singe test tile with 25 squares. Mixing all this was a lesson in itself. If all goes as planed I'll be glaze firing within a week.

Thanks again Marcia

Archived