As A Corollary... (Part 1)

Sputty

A magnet is attracted to 430 Stainless Steel which can pit or corrode. 

A magnet isn't attracted 316 and 304 Stainless Steel and won't pit or corrode. Both are more expensive than 430

Guest JBaymore

If it is a hex type kiln, the thing that holds the structure of the kiln together is the tension of the metal jacket against the bricks.  If it structurally fails during a firing.... things could get "interesting" fast.

Fiber over the steel WILL rot it out very fast as the interface temperature comes up greatly.

best,

.............john

The only place that you could add the fiber insulation would be the lid. This would help with escape of heat. I used a kit lid insulation rig when firing with an L&L years ago in the HS. It had about 3" of fiber with a stainless cover that screwed onto the kiln lid. It cut down the fast fire time, and also helped to slow the cool down. 

Now, many years later at home I have replaced the original lid that came with my kiln with a lid that is an inch thicker of firebrick. Two things I notice. The lid does not seem to damage as easily. Cooling is slower by far. I do have two handles on the lid, and do not use a hinge, just lift it off as needed. This allows me to use fewer sections to fire if I wish, or to add the 4th section, which I rarely use anymore. However when I want to fire a really large load, or tall pots it is a nice option.

best,

Pres

marcia, do you remember those top loader electric kilns that were only brick and narrow bands of metal?  i have seen photos in books and magazines (and ebay) but never encountered one in any studio.  it would seem that kind of banding could fit over the bricks and a layer of insulation.  granted, the fiber is exposed but there must be something that could be banded around the whole thing.

A magnet is attracted to 430 Stainless Steel which can pit or corrode. 

A magnet isn't attracted 316 and 304 Stainless Steel and won't pit or corrode. Both are more expensive than 430

I eventually remembered to take a magnet out to my kiln - no attraction there, so presumably it's a better grade of stainless steel.

Does that mean I can get away with gluing fibre to the outside after all, I wonder?

Although I have read that stainless steel can be irreversibly sensitised to corrosion by excess heat (400 - 800 deg C, - 750-1550 deg F). I suppose effectively sandwiching it between a layer of insulating brick and another layer of fibre will elevate the temperature somewhat... so maybe not after all!

I really don't know, I wonder if an air space between the jacket and insulating fiber would work?

Archived