Kiln Shelf Warp Question

several of my shelves have warped.  i need them flat because making flat things demands that they do not rock when placed on a table.  most are ok but i have a photo of one shelf that is about 1/4 inch down in the center.  the second is about 1/8 inch.

i will be firing to cone 6 in a few days and hope to be able to turn these 2 shelves upside down and hope the sag is reduced.  is there a special spot in the kiln where the effect will be more likely to happen?  i assume the hottest location is best but that is at the top.  should i weigh down the shelf that needs straightening with a flat one? 

being unable to "waste" a firing on just this, i plan to load the rest of the kiln with glazed ware.  do you think it can be done?

post-2431-0-22179800-1496118271_thumb.jpg

thanks, neil.  the wallet says no new shelves.  check the retail price and you might see why.  it took years to get this bad, i guess one firing won't do much but i will try it.

marcia, good idea, maybe silica sand and grog.   you would be very surprised at what "corrections" have been made to all of your posts since you started the move last year.  my inner proofreader just keeps popping up whenever i read anything so when yours ALL came up with strange things i started watching.  maybe one or two have gotten by that were correct from the start.

I use usual solid electric kiln shelves (3/4" thick 26" half-round) in my 10 cubic foot kiln typically fired to cone 6.  Using three stilts puts the long diameter side with only supports at the ends.  They warp almost 1/2" within about 10-12 firings.  I then remove the wash, flip, and re-wash. They do flatten back out, but only temporarily on their way to warping the other direction.  No cracking from this yet. 

I recently purchased a couple of the hollow (core-light?) shelves and they have gone almost 10 firing and no warp at all.  They are not much more that the solid shelves.  Might have to start slowly replace all the solid shelves. 

kiln went on at 1:30 with a newly cleaned shelf upside down and near the top of the kiln.  i used marcia's suggestion of grog but did something else with it.  when i started grinding off the kiln wash, from about 1995, i noticed how it had alligatored on the entire shelf.  normally, i just take the old 6 inch grinding wheel from a stationary unit and slide it across the shelf, knocking off the bits.

today i put some grog on the shelf and ground it from medium to fine.  in the process knocking off much more of the kiln wash than i have ever managed before.  a little work with an old chisel on the stuff near the edges and a damp sponge finished the job.  thank you, marcia.  i did put some silica sand on the other shelves that were not so bad and fired pots on them.

this shelf went upside down above an empty shelf on 1 inch posts.  a second set of 1 inch posts holds another shelf above it so nothing will fall into my work.  i hope.

opened the kiln.  found no change in the shelf.  except that it is now clean and ready to be used again.  i will try using it on the reverse since i do not want the sag to touch the pots on the shelf below.  i do pack tightly.

marcia, i added silica sand to the other shelves to level them and it worked very well.  thank you for the suggestion.  working alone in a studio means nobody to bounce ideas off of but this forum is a great resource and i appreciate everyone who posts anything.

post-2431-0-14020100-1496407292_thumb.jpg

thanks, neil.  the wallet says no new shelves.  check the retail price and you might see why.  it took years to get this bad, i guess one firing won't do much but i will try it.

marcia, good idea, maybe silica sand and grog.   you would be very surprised at what "corrections" have been made to all of your posts since you started the move last year.  my inner proofreader just keeps popping up whenever i read anything so when yours ALL came up with strange things i started watching.  maybe one or two have gotten by that were correct from the start. 

I agree. I always think of you when I go back and see errors to correct. Still out of likes. I am glad the move is done. Still unpacking but everything is here or trashed. It is good to let go. Downsizing is tough but rewarding.

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

douglas, thank you but i would not want to try this.  my shelf came out of the firing fine, i put new kiln wash on it and some medium grog to level it so pots will come out flat.  i do not fire often so this will be the time to grind off old kiln wash and replace it for next season, starting in late july.

Archived