Question About Height Of Wheel To Stand And Throw

Pugaboo

I am getting ready to try raising my wheel so I can throw standing up. Can those of you that throw standing up give me an approximate height according to the body to start with? I am sure it will take some tweaking to get it perfect but am looking for a starting point.

Thank you!

T

I like mine a little lower than Min, about hip height so I can brace my elbow into my hip if needed. I built a wood frame for mine, but first I put it up on cinder blocks and shimmed it as needed to figure out what height to build the frame. A lot of people I know just use cinder blocks, but I didn't like the idea of bumping my shins into them. I keep my pedal up on the corner of my wheel so I can adjust it with my hand (although this photo doesn't show that). It's a bit awkward to throw standing at first, because you don't have all the bracing points for your arms that you do when sitting. You'll get used to it, though, and your back will thank you.

post-6933-0-28143400-1481946597_thumb.jpg

I've been experimenting with heights and found that my old standby works for me. (work benches, lathes, tablesaw, and potters wheel)

Whether sitting or standing, with my back somewhat straight (a comfortable slight forward lean) I like the wheel head with a bat at elbow height.

nice wheel stand Neil

For me, it depends on the size of pot I want to make.

I have a small wheel table top wheel. 

The top of the wheel is about level with my left elbow tight against my body and the forearm is straight  and at a right angle with the upper arm. 

If the pot is to be pulled very tall, the wheel must be lower, or I need to stand on a platform.

LT

I walked out to the studio to check the height and my wheelhead and it is at bellybutton height. If I throw pieces over a foot I find I stand on my tippy toes. Nice calf work out by the way. I someday will build a stand at the optimum height for my work like Neil has done. I use the cinderblock method for now. They cost a dollar or a little more. I placed damp newspaper under the blocks to shim for level and rocking. I also faced the cinder block so I can store tools and what not in them. I have an office chair on wheels I sit in when finishing the tops sometimes. I use two old Shimpo RK2's so I have and use the hand lever.

I have seen other potters who will throw with their back to a wall or fix a post to the floor and ceiling for extra support. I at this time have no need for this. just passing on the info. I prefer throwing standing. I also dance a little if the music moves me. Sometimes I clap my hands and do spin after a pull. Super fun times.

I never thought about this before but I think men's belly buttons are a different relationship to hips than womens' are to hips. ..if my figure drawing classes served me well.

Just saying'

Marcia

Very true. Men have lower hip bones. When I teach students to brace, I have men put their left elbow into their hip bone. For women I have them put their elbow into their thigh. I remember a day in my figure drawing class in college when we had a 6' tall male model and a 5'5" tall female model, and their hip bones were the same height from the floor.

Standing up on the concrete no support. Dancing sometimes. Ok quite a bit. I barely know how to post a picture so no video Sputty. I've been told when I dance it gives people hope. I think all the shy self-conscious people get out on the dance floor because they know most people are watching me because well I don't have any dance moves and I don't care.  

Archived