Building A 14" Sink

Planning on throwing a small sink for the RV.  Was planning to bisque upside down on the rim. My concern is the glaze fire to ^6 with stoneware clay, will is slump if I fire it sitting on the small base around the drain? Plan to throw it reasonably  thick to put up with the abuse.  Should I try to help support the rim on stilts to keep it stable? or throw a ring for the sink to sit in for firing?  Plan to clear glaze inside and out except for the small area at the drain to sit on during the glaze firing.

My thought is to just fire it on the base with a few stilts just below the rim in case it tips so as not to damage the kiln. Also it would be on its own shelf , hate to waste the room in the kiln but it might be worth it.

I throw them just as I would a large bowl. The only difference is the foot is a larger thicker ring that the is not connected to bowl. The bowl is fired on this ring both green and glaze fires.

If the bowl lip is upside down it can drag and warp in the bisque.Just make the sink thick enough so it does not warp. Sinks can be really thick as one installed they never move.

Do not rush sinks-I'm speaking from experience

Make another one for a backup as well

Trust me on this one.

So true! It's a big piece. A standard bowl is 16", which means I have to throw them to 18" to allow for the shrinkage of my porcelain. I use 17 pounds of clay for that, in order to get it thick enough to be durable. I take a long time to get them dry enough to trim, otherwise they love to crack. Take your time...

Archived