So Close ... But Not ...

I took a commission for a piece that needed exact measurements down to the tenths of an inch ... yeah, I know ... dumb.

But it looked interesting and I got curious about whether or not I could pull it off.

Long story short, I did all my shrinkage computations and made three just in case.

I nailed the width right down to 8.9" as requested ...but ... I did not factor in the stretching effect of the slab roller and lost the length by 2 tenths of an inch. Not a speck of warping on a flat piece.

Aarghh! So close!!! For someone like me where size is whatever happens, happens.

Part of me wants to try again, the other part says ... Nope ... I have gone down this rabbit hole before.

post-1585-0-10746500-1479139584_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-10746500-1479139584_thumb.jpg

Go on Chris try again!

I think I can feel you want to....... :)

We've all falllen down rabbit holes, in the nature, slow learners maybe, wombat hole person here, much bigger.

i was asked to do a memorial plaque, did it, lots of writing etc, had a tiny crack, so bought papar clay, dried forever, decorated and fired forever on grog, much slower ramp....b.....thing cracked in half..

I still think I'll go again, or not, leading up to Xmas, pressure time, you know work best undr pressure, could do 10 all slightly longe, shorter etc, might just crack it, sure they'd sell or gift beautifully.. :)

The above is not good advice.

I feel for you. I'm presently making a few lids for canisters  that friend bought decades ago and now lives in New England. It a try and see deal more than an have to do it.I may have the lids in bisque form as I have a bone pile  of them-The customer is making the measurements so its most likely going to not go smooth.

When I first joined the forum, I was working at a place that did bespoke stained glass. The installer of the final piece was always the person to take the initial measurements, unless we could take a template from an item we were replacing. Reason being, different eyes discern tiny increments like that somewhat differently, and each tape measure is a bit different. Using someone else's measurements, unless you work closely with each other, usually doesn't work.

If it were me, I'd ask your customer to mail you a paper template. Get them to rub graphite, or maybe stamp pad ink all over the rim of the pot, turn the pot upside down on a piece of paper and press firmly. That might get you something you can measure yourself.

I write the  measurement  on this inside of all my lids- the metric number and its glazed over. I can read it but customers cannot. I'm hoping she can read this number. I tend to make my canister lids all the same 13cm 16 or 18cm and 20cm the problem here is its 4 piece set and the smallest vary from 11-12cm.

All my butterdish lids are 17cm . Making your lids the same for 40 years makes it easier to replace when the time comes.

Since one of the list busted into 12 pieces making a rubbing will not work-the rubbing on the bottom will not help as the seat is inside the outside rim.Its needs to be measured with metric ruler for me to have a shot at it.I have a box full of Biqued lids from dead bottoms all with the measurement on the insides.I can bet you I will not have hers=as thats how this always works.

Archived