Can I Get Away Without A Test Kiln?

Saki

My KWh cost is .24 cents per in the 3 tier of usage-With no electric fires this month. If I fired the 1227 (10 cubic feet) kiln the cost is more as I'll be in tier 4 with higher rates.

Since we are on a well our pump uses more juice. 

If you want to sell them even faster, attach a little bird on the rim... 

Haha, so true!

Uh, but please everyone, don't fall into the "Put a Bird on It" meme from Portlandia. Just do a google search for "put a bird on it portlandia" and prepare to cringe (while laughing).

I put birds on some of my pots, but I am careful not to be twee about it. 

HAHAHAH. I love it. ohhh so funny. I was making bowls and I went to my mother in laws house and she has lots of things with birds on it. She said she wanted a big bowl for her cabinet top in the kitchen, so I figured I might as well put a bird on it. I gave it to her and she loved it, she had basically picked out the glaze she wanted from my garage. After she got it all her friends wanted one. Now my wife just says, put a bird on it and sell it. hahah. I didn't know there was a meme. That is fantastic! I will have to show this to my wife. my day has been made.

thanks mea.

so yes. birds on bowls. to fill your kiln. 

Most little test kilns will need a 20 amp circuit, so be prepared for that. In general, you don't really need to be all that picky about which brand or model. If it will go to cone 10 and will run on 20 amps, and the bricks are in decent shape, then it'll work. Tiny kilns don't get the abuse that bigger kilns do, and because of their size the bricks don't move around much so they are typically quite durable no matter what brand you get. The two I have are brands I would never buy in a larger kiln, but they work great for tests.

Archived