Lamp Molds

After doing a search of the forum: guess I need to ask if anyone knows a source for lamp molds? Could make my own, but was curious to see if there was a source. Somehow light reflecting across a crystalline glazed lamp pedestal appeals to me: and I strongly suspect it will appeal to the buying public.

Nerd

Have your throwing lady make some nice forms and make or have the molds made from them.

That way you control the form.

They will be a bear to drain/flip

PS you can also have them turned say in aluminum at a metal shop for the masters-I have done that myself long ago.

Neil-Mark: sorta had the suspicion that the lamp bases might have to be thrown.

Marcia: I think molds might work on smaller lamp bases.

LT: that is on my radar as well. Actually thought of making the mold, and then pressing in two pieces, and then join.

Will probably try all three, one will work efficiently. Have spent some time looking at lamps in the furniture store/s. I can tell that some of them are molds by the mold marks not being completely fettled.

Nerd

Nerd once ou get your master the slip makes the most sense for production.

Years ago on this site the large mold subject came up and a fellow showed a large mold in between two plywood rounds for dumping. Tire rubber held them in place.I had a porcelain slip business once and it's a Great body to slip mold with.I still have a large vase mold from those days.

I've always dreamed of making lamps but I wouldn't know how to proceed in getting the parts and making it work even though it seems like it should be really simple. (I'm assuming this is why you want to use a mold? for the attaching/fitting lamp parts into it?) What's your plan for the non-ceramic elements of lamp making? ..if you don't mind my asking.

#3 for Grand Brass. Good stuff, and everything you'll need - including the plastic bushings you should put in the ends of any threaded pipe to prevent the cord from being cut and shorting out. Most of the other purveyors of art supplies have no clue of the not-so-minor technical details.

LH- others have already answered for me.

Mark C- one of the items on my list when I met with Ron Roy: porcelain slip with specific properties. I have pretty much perfected my Coma Clay, so I will just use that same formula in a slip.

I am aiming for high end retail only- so there will be no wooden bases or fabric shades. The big thing I was watching for during my lamp shopping was how various shapes reflected light. Obviously I want the optimum amount of refractive index :).

The input is much appreciated.

Nerd

Archived