Bisque Fire With Paper

Hi,

I have been working on some old men busts, and I have a question about paper trapped in the head.  I built a wooden armature for the work and made a paper ball to use as a mould for the inside of the head.  After removing the armature and as much of the paper as I can there is still some paper trapped inside. 

I have let the head dry very completely, are there any concerns with firing in an electric kiln with some paper left in the head?  The bust is not terribly large (9" or so), and I used 1 sheet of paper from a local flyer.  I would estimate that I got about 50% of it out.

I realize that I could have cut the top of the head open to fish out the paper and reattach, but I plan to Raku this and didn’t want the seam where I reattached to be a weak spot.

Thoughts?

Thanks

~Mal

post-67531-0-39101800-1466433015_thumb.jpg

post-67531-0-78576000-1466433018_thumb.jpg

post-67531-0-39101800-1466433015_thumb.jpg

post-67531-0-78576000-1466433018_thumb.jpg

....And when you are ready to unload the kiln after firing, don't forget that there might be a small pile of ash remaining on the kiln shelf.  Some of us have done this before (not mentioning any names, *cough* *cough*) have forgotten this part and proceeded to dump ash down the front of their clothing while removing the shelf.

Good luck with the firing!

-Paul

The biggest issue is whether or not your vent can handle the smoke when that paper starts to smolder and burn. A typical downdraft vent can't handle the amount of smoke from burning paper very well, so you'll need to provide some extra ventilation to the room if that's how you're vented.

Archived