Are there glaze colors you refuse to use on your work? | Oct. 3, 2011

October brings the change of seasons and a riot of color across the countryside. So, with color on my mind I will pose the Question of the Week.

Are there glaze colors you refuse to use on your work?

I have my personal bet placed on the color that sells the best hands down, all over the world ... but lets see what you say!!

As always please til the REPLY button OUTSIDE of the message itself so the messages are not copied every time.

post-1585-131765729958_thumb.jpg

post-1585-131765729958_thumb.jpg

October brings the change of seasons and a riot of color across the countryside. So, with color on my mind I will pose the Question of the Week.

I have my personal bet placed on the color that sells the best hands down, all over the world ... but lets see what you say!!

As always please til the REPLY button OUTSIDE of the message itself so the messages are not copied every time.

I 'm pretty sure I know what color your talking about, I was hoping that I was open minded enough that I wouldn't have a color but after some consideration I decided that a muddy yellow green couldn't work with any thing. I think I got sick of that color range growing up in a era of avacado appliances, cars and anything else they could paint that color. Denice

Chris I just hit the reply button at the bottom of the page and still got the original message, it's the only reply button I see, what am I doing wrong! Denice

OK I'll be the first to say it. I don't make blue pots. I hope that doesn't sound snobby, because I actually have no problem buying blue pots, as long as they have good pottery merit. But I don't want anyone to buy my pots because they are in a bright and safe color, without any deeper appreciation. This comes from my years working as a graphic designer, where I learned I really don't like people who can only make safe color choices. Those people made the whole process of design difficult, not just the color selection. So now I am "getting even" by not making pots for them! he he he. My position about this has softened over the years, as I get more removed from my graphic design days. I'm less "anti-blue" and just very happy with my gray-brown-cream spectrum. Maybe I am missing out on hoards of blue-pottery-loving customers, but I find that my starkly neutral palette makes a strong visual statement too.

Mea

I am with Lucille on this one; if it's available, doesn't cause trouble during or after firing, or have high toxicity issues, or cost WAY too much, I can find a way to use it on something. I don't recall seeing a color on a pot that I had a problem with, but the pots....that's another question.

John L.

I am always tickled to hear potters say they won't make blue pots.

I like blue ... Sky, water and comfy jeans.

I find I don't use brown and I seldom appreciate muddied colors, ochres. Avocado green and harvest gold were killed for me in the appliance stage of their lives.

What I love is unexpected color combos ... The wow factor of wondering how the artist decided to put them together.

• 3 months later...

This is more for ceramics in general not just pottery but I can't stand red iron oxide wash. Students tend to use it as an old stand by when they can't figure out what to use and more often then not it doesn't do the piece any favors. Every year, I attend a ceramics conference in california that includes shows from about 30 different colleges and universities, and every year it's the same. A sea of red iron oxide. It just drives me crazy.

Spring

I try not to use solid cobalt blue-just a few pots a year..As I'm in the business of selling pottery just as much as making it .Some blues are better than others that is less solids-There are a few cobalt only customers and a few pots for them is about about all I can stand.Blue from a rutile base is my most popular color

Mark

I do have a purple matt glaze that I am known for. You either like it or you don't. I decorate on it with cobalt and black.

I shudder away from the 2% cobalt carb. blue glaze.I had a potter friend who used a Noxema jar blue colour glaze. I think it was a white glaze with cobalt. It was not as nasty as some blues I've seen, but I just couldn't do it. Even if you waved wads of twenties in front of my eyes, I just couldn't do it.

I also have not used Temmoku browns in years. I find that they don't sell.

T.JR.

Archived