Bowl Decorations... Inside Or Outside Of Bowl?

Joseph, I came to using titanium glazes through rutile glazes, which are a mainstay for many midrange potters.  But the iron in rutile makes those glazes muted in their color response, at least to some extent, so I started trying to develop glazes with purer sources of titania. 

I also add titania to most of my slips as well, because I find that it promotes some crystallization in the overlying glaze.

Babs, currently I do soak for 30 minutes at top heat, but don't fire down.  If I did, I fear some of the matte glazes I use would become too matte for my taste.

I should probably mention that I fire to Cone 8.

Ray, and Joseph, thank you for this thread!  Ray, you started the discussion about a topic that is in my head most of the time!  I just found a recipe for some slip I want to try and now I am going to explore the titanium glazes!!!  Beautiful work Ray.  Beautiful work Joseph!

Roberta

Everyone, you are making me smile.  Thanks!

I've thought about starting a thread with a title like "That moment when you realize you are going in a new direction."  It happened 3 firings ago, when I had a bunch of little pipes and needed to fire them, but didn't have enough stuff to fill the kiln.  So I quickly threw a couple dozen soup bowls.  I've been using lots of slip in my surface treatments for years, so that's how I decorated them, and because I really just wanted to get the firing underway, I used a very loose and almost instinctive approach to cutting the patterns into the slip.  I'd been having a little trouble with that titania glaze running off the bottoms of my pots, and although I liked the effect of the thick glaze, I decided to thin it down to a SG of 1.45 and see what happened.  No doubt this was unwise, since I really hadn't tested it thin.

Anyway, that moment came when I opened the kiln. 

It's funny how discovering a new approach makes you think about your esthetic choices in a larger context, isn't it? 

Archived