Non-Stick Glaze?

mdobay

Hi Folks,

Maybe a silly question and I think the answer is No but, I haven't been potting for very long and I have a lifetime of learning to do..  So my question is, is there a food safe gaze that can be used to create a non-stick surface?  I make these little microware egg-cooker pots with B-mix and Glaze the insides with a basic white liner glaze. Although they are not difficult to clean and not a lot sticks to the inside, some stuff does and  it would be great to have total non-stick surface. Again, I am thinking No, but this could be a good topic for discussion.

Thanks

I too have never heard of a specific "non-stick" ceramic glaze surface.

best,

..................john

I have never heard of a non stick glaze ... in my experience, foods do not stick to glazes if the surface is greased.

Thanks that what I thought as well. I suggested the same thing to the person who purchased the cooker but, thought I would ask anyways.

This also got me thinking about glazes some more and which ones would be better or not for functional pottery..Expanding if I may, I have seen some post with pictures of fired glazes under high magnification where is shows microscopic bubbles and pits, so going along with that theory if a gaze has more pits and bubbles, wouldn't the food be more likely then not to stick in those areas and if so, an extremely dense and smooth gaze would be more non-stick I would think?

In 'Out of the Earth, Into the Fire' by Mimi Obstler, there's a recipe for Portchester Copper II glaze, which could be a starting point for what you're looking for, assuming you're firing to cone 5/6 in oxidation. I haven't tried this myself, but to quote from the description on pg 160, 'The Portchester Copper glaze displays an extraordinary surface. It is skinlike and smooth. Pots glazed with this formula are amazingly easy to clean - almost Teflon-like in the ease with which greasy and clinging food particles can be removed.'

The base recipe is:

Nepheline Syenite 56.7%
Whiting 22.7%
Flint 17.5%
Tin oxide 3.1%

Adding 1 - 2% copper carbonate gives a 'soft turquoise' to 'deep green-black'.

According to the digitalfire entry on tin oxide, this is probably what gives the smoothness.

One thing to note is that the glaze may craze. 'Craze lines not visible but strong crackle pattern revealed with rubbing of tea or artist ink'. It's a little low in SiO2 (2.45 UMF), so I'd start by increasing the flint.

"Non-stick" as a kitchen utensil performance bench mark is something that can only be achieved with a coating of teflon or similar material.  Otherwise it's a function of maintenance and technique.  Surface damage (scratches, chips, or crazing) will increase the likelihood of a surface causing sticking, since sticking is a function of rough surfaces.  Oil puts a gap between your food and the pan surface, teflon fills in the rough surface and makes it ultra smooth.

To make your surfaces as non-stick as possible, look for hard, high gloss, craze free glaze recipes that fall within formula limits.  It's no coincidence that most commercial oven-to-table (as well as serving) ware is clear glazed porcelain.

If you google "patent non stick glaze" you will find a number of solutions to this, e.g. a couple of links below.

Skimming through them, the approach seems to be to glaze the pot and then add a final non-stick layer, which can be ceramic based (e.g. some Kyocera pans have this, I believe), or it looks like you can get a Teflon resin which fires on at about 400C.

As always with a patent, they tell you how to do it assuming you are already competent in the field, but unless they have lapsed or expired you will need to licence the technology from the patent holder if you want to try and reproduce it in the country of he patent. Also, just because it is patented doesn't mean it actually works!

For a ceramic slow cooker: http://www.google.com.py/patents/US6177655

For a cooking pot, including clay formulation: https://www.google.com/patents/US6261985

Another cooking pot: http://www.google.com/patents/EP0124000A2?cl=en

I would think if the pot has a very glossy and strong finish then food would be much less likely to stick to it than say a satin or matte finish, at least from my experience with my pots and glazes.

As far as the reference to the tin oxide. Most of my glazes use tin oxide. I have bowls that I eat out of almost every day and they are incredibly easy to clean. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just adding some content to the post that Pieter posted.

Archived