Great Shape For Glaze Tests

I hope this link works for you ... If not, friend me on Facebook and look at this post by Alisa Lisken Clausen showing her stackable shapes for glaze testing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207364814900634&set=a.4565599700076.2184015.1294156826&type=3

What makes this shape so great is the combination is stackability, texture, no glaze run accidents and the ability to use the wares later.

Oh, well that's just fantastic!! Adorable little shape to those! Like little boats.

Looking at these reminded me a little of these tiny flower shaped sauce dishes that I already make. They would actually be a good shape and texture for glaze tests, and be fairly stackable in storage, better than my current bizarrely misshapen standing samples. They would be much nicer too for making a color chart in my online shop. No way I would send photos of my current glaze samples to ANY customer. ;) I can't believe this never occurred to me before!

I make these by rolling out a 1/4" slab of clay, cutting out circles with a cookie cutter and tapering the edges a bit with a sponge, then scalloping the edges in various shapes. I add slip trailing as soon as possible and they come out around 3" in diameter. Just the right size for a teabag and spoon, a dollop of ketchup, or your wedding rings. (Just not all at the same time)

med_gallery_67168_924_929277.jpg

Giselle, these would be beautiful samples for your colours, definitely! Also I love the shape of these as sauce dish as well!!
Chris, these shape are a good idea but they are pretty big, they probably take a lot of space even though you can stack them up ^^

Giselle, these would be beautiful samples for your colours, definitely! Also I love the shape of these as sauce dish as well!!

Chris, these shape are a good idea but they are pretty big, they probably take a lot of space even though you can stack them up ^^

I bet I could load an amazing number in one kiln load! I spent many years loading small stackable stuff and every inch adds up nicely.

My only concern would be fuming affecting the glaze results above or below ... but Alisa knows her stuff glaze wise. Over the years she has tested and reported on them.

Probably fine, if you are making plates, but I like my tiles to have at least a 5 inch vertical surface to see how the glaze might flow on a tall form.

I think it all depends on the kind of glazes you're using. I specifically choose glazes that are stable and non-runny so as long as the dish has at least a little upward shape it works well for me. But I agree that if you are using more interesting glazes you may want to make test tumblers! And put a cookie underneath for good measure! :) 

Those would make beautiful samples for a glaze option if your making stuff to order. Very nice.

I like that the slip trailing shows off the break and also if a glaze pools a little I've found that it'll show up there in the center of the flower due to the shape of the sides. They're really fun and easy and could be made with many different looks and shapes to express many different styles. I'm also going to start making larger 5" ones because several customers said they would like a garlic grater in that style. I can skip sponging the points off the slip trailing in the center, which is brilliant and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of the garlic graters myself! So many amazing ideas from all sides this week! I'm writing everything down. :) 

I have my Open Studio and Sunday afternoon was slow so I was able to make a few in between guests. I'm excited to have these as my glaze samples. I can't wait!! I'm thinking I could even slap a magnet on the back of each flower and hang a little strip of sheet metal up somewhere in the studio to save shelf space! Flowers blooming everywhere. :) 

Archived