Anyone Use Amaco Potters Choice Saturation Metallic Or Gold?

Hi Missholly,

I'm new here and just read your question. Amaco's Potter's Choice line are glazes, not overglazes, they are formulate for firing at cone 5 to 6. They are to be applied on bisque ware. I have not used the metallic one, but I have used the gold one. In order to get close to the same results as in their test tiles, you have to fire it to cone 5 at medium speed. I believe Amaco always fires to cone 5, not sure. However, I would suggest you make your own tests at both temperatures and see which result you like the best. I personally like the results I got at cone 5, better. One thing, you are not going to get the actual gold look as if you were using a gold luster.

Linda

www.lambdapottery.com

i just picked up a pint of each and im not sure what to do with it. ive only worked with velvet underglazes.

im assuming these are overglazes? so would i apply to bisque and fire to the cone of my clay? (^6)

can i apply to greenware and once fire to ^6?

I also just picked up the saturation gold and palladium silver. Will be doing tests later this week and will let you know how they do. I'll be firing them to cone 6 on bisqued stoneware. I'll test them again to cone 5 to see if there's a difference. Am going to try cone 6 first because I want the stoneware to vitrify. They look fabulous on Amacos site...hope they come through my firing looking the same.

I have used PC-2 Saturation Gold many times. In the studio, I will always use it over or under another PC glaze, and some of the results are stunningly beautiful. We fire at cone 5 oxidation, and I have had some great results.

Strangely, I have never gotten a great result using it alone, where it tends to come out with a dark matte metallic look, not totally gold, and not high gloss or smooth: a bit on the ugly side. I guess I haven't found the secret yet to using it by itself. I must be doing something wrong. In any event, I suggest you do a lot of testing on your clay body with the gold before actually using it.

Good luck,

Les

meiese,

those look beautiful! congratulations!

i used it on a small greenware bowl. i did two coats, it came out matte black, some slight gold sheen on the textured parts.

it was in a ^6 fire.

will there be much difference when i try it on bisque?

what is the deal with "oxidation"?

meiese,

those look beautiful! congratulations!

i used it on a small greenware bowl. i did two coats, it came out matte black, some slight gold sheen on the textured parts.

it was in a ^6 fire.

will there be much difference when i try it on bisque?

what is the deal with "oxidation"?

Thanks. I used it on bisque and the first pot with the gold was a white clay. The second pot with the silver was a brown clay. This is the first time I used it so I had no idea how it would come out. But it was fired at ^6 and then the kiln cooled down on it's own. Oh and I had a 10 minute hold time.

That's all I know, Sorry. :-) I have never actually glazed from greenware. My bisque on these colors was fired to ^06 but I think I'm gonna go next time with ^04. I just got the book "Mastering ^6 glazes" and I think that might be a better fit.

I used both saturation gold and palladium silver this week....both to unexpected, and disappointing results. I fired to cone 6, stoneware clay, that had been bisqued to cone 04, as instructed on the packaging. The gold came out a deep bronze, metallic. Nice, but not what I expected. And the palladium did not do well at all. It came out a kind of transparent dark green. Very disappointing. I even refired two of the three pieces in case my middle shelf didn't get hot enough (where the pieces were placed -- my cones were on the bottom and (top shelf), and my bottom shelf is always much hotter in my old kiln.) Cones fell properly -- but colors were not as expected. Especially the palladium - pix on Amacos website show it a brilliant sterling silver in color. Not even close in my kiln. Boo.

I used both saturation gold and palladium silver this week....both to unexpected, and disappointing results. I fired to cone 6, stoneware clay, that had been bisqued to cone 04, as instructed on the packaging. The gold came out a deep bronze, metallic. Nice, but not what I expected. And the palladium did not do well at all. It came out a kind of transparent dark green. Very disappointing. I even refired two of the three pieces in case my middle shelf didn't get hot enough (where the pieces were placed -- my cones were on the bottom and (top shelf), and my bottom shelf is always much hotter in my old kiln.) Cones fell properly -- but colors were not as expected. Especially the palladium - pix on Amacos website show it a brilliant sterling silver in color. Not even close in my kiln. Boo.

I have had trouble with Paladium as well. The color was better at cone 6, but I have big time pinholing. It comes out silver but the holes are quite disappointing. I need to do a 50th anniversary cake topper for my parents so I surely hope I can master the metallic gold glaze! Keep this thread going please.

Marc

I have had trouble with Paladium as well. The color was better at cone 6, but I have big time pinholing. It comes out silver but the holes are quite disappointing. I need to do a 50th anniversary cake topper for my parents so I surely hope I can master the metallic gold glaze! Keep this thread going please.

Marc

I don't know if this helps - but when I have bubbles/pinholilng, I refire to the same temp with my next batch...and that usually solves the problem. But I can't get the palladium to go silver! I bisqued to cone 04, as the packaging instructs...but am going to try bisquing my next test to 06. Maybe that will help. What did you bisque to before glazing and firing to cone 6??

i just picked up a pint of each and im not sure what to do with it. ive only worked with velvet underglazes.

im assuming these are overglazes? so would i apply to bisque and fire to the cone of my clay? (^6)

I use both of those glazes. They must be applied to bisque. I fire to ^6. I think you might have the best results firing to ^5. The potters choice line works well with most any Amaco glaze. From what I have seen.

Marc

I don't know if this helps - but when I have bubbles/pinholilng, I refire to the same temp with my next batch...and that usually solves the problem. But I can't get the palladium to go silver! I bisqued to cone 04, as the packaging instructs...but am going to try bisquing my next test to 06. Maybe that will help. What did you bisque to before glazing and firing to cone 6??

Thanks. I will try the refire. I fired it to Bisque 04 and glaze fire at 5 and 6 with similar effects.

Good luck,

Marc

Hello, I have used the gold using all recommended specifications regarding bisque and glaze firing....the first time with dark non-gold results. The next time I applied a much heavier coat and got fairly nice gold/bronze results. I have found this to be unfortunate as i wanted to used them on textured pieces but the thick applications buries the texture.

I'd sure like to know how the Amaco people got the results they show on their website. From what I see here, no one is getting gold as seen there, and the palladium silver is green in all my tests. Very disappointed, especially since I ordered this online and paid a hefty shipping and customs charge (I live in Canada, and can't find these glazes here).

I'd sure like to know how the Amaco people got the results they show on their website. From what I see here, no one is getting gold as seen there, and the palladium silver is green in all my tests. Very disappointed, especially since I ordered this online and paid a hefty shipping and customs charge (I live in Canada, and can't find these glazes here).

BTW -- I sent an email to AMACO about this, and provided the link for this forum.

I had good results with the gold applying over a shiny black glaze, I brushed on two coats. There was some breaking in the texture where black showed through but that was my objective. I think if I had used 3-4 coats I would have achieved a solid gold result. Electric Kiln cone 6.

I have used saturation gold and have gotten various results. Usually a dark color fired to cone 6. Then one day I had about a half bottle left and used that... It came out beautiful ... A dark colored gold. I did in the past stir it well. But I think this needs more bottom stirring than usual. I will use it again but will store it upside down.

I have used saturation gold and have gotten various results. Usually a dark color fired to cone 6. Then one day I had about a half bottle left and used that... It came out beautiful ... A dark colored gold. I did in the past stir it well. But I think this needs more bottom stirring than usual. I will use it again but will store it upside down.

I have purchased most of the potter's choice line and so far have had very limited success! I've tried doing 2 coats of one color with one coat of another over, 3 coats under and 1 coat over and I'm still not getting the results they show on their site. I did try the 2 coats with 1 coat over and that didn't do it either. I'm sooooo frustrated because their results look so spectacular~I did have one very textured pot that I used the rutile blue with something over (can't remember now!) and it broke and does look nice but that's only one of about 40 pots I've fired in the past month! I have also tried refiring but that didn't seem to make much difference either. One thing I'm thinking that might have made a difference is that we've been bisque firing at 05 instead of 04. And I noticed last time I checked Georgies site (where I get most all my glazes) that they fire over a very light clay whereas I use a medium brown body. I wonder how much difference that might make? It would be great if someone that gets great results would clue us all in :o)

I have purchased most of the potter's choice line and so far have had very limited success! I've tried doing 2 coats of one color with one coat of another over, 3 coats under and 1 coat over and I'm still not getting the results they show on their site. I did try the 2 coats with 1 coat over and that didn't do it either. I'm sooooo frustrated because their results look so spectacular~I did have one very textured pot that I used the rutile blue with something over (can't remember now!) and it broke and does look nice but that's only one of about 40 pots I've fired in the past month! I have also tried refiring but that didn't seem to make much difference either. One thing I'm thinking that might have made a difference is that we've been bisque firing at 05 instead of 04. And I noticed last time I checked Georgies site (where I get most all my glazes) that they fire over a very light clay whereas I use a medium brown body. I wonder how much difference that might make? It would be great if someone that gets great results would clue us all in :o)

Also meant to add, I tried the saturation metallic the other day, put 4 brushed coats on and it turned out REALLY UGLY!

Archived