Studio Floor Protection / How High Should My Kiln Be Off The Floor? ?

I'm planning on placing my used Paragon toploader kiln on a concrete floor, but it's covered by a 2cm thick layer of plywood, so I need some sort of heat barrier. In this thread people recommend using two layers of cement board. There is some cement board lying around the building in which I'm renting my studio, so I could probably use that if no-one objects.

On the other hand, I also have a box of 25mm (1") thick hard insulating fire-bricks, that would cover an area that extends 6" beyond the edge of the kiln on the sides where the plywood is, as Neil Estrick recommends in the thread referred to above (the plywood doesn't extend all the way to the walls - it's an unusual setup). The bricks would be the easier option, since cutting the cement board down to size would be a hassle.

However, the stand that I got with the kiln is only 6" high (so apparently not the one made by Paragon, although it looks similar). Should I put bricks under the feet of the stand to raise it up, and if so, how high? The kiln has 2.5" thick walls, and will be fired to at most cone 6.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I may try using the cement board if it can be snapped off after scoring. It would have been nice to find a use for my box of fire-bricks though.

I am planning on installing a downdraft vent, Marcia, but the first few firings will be without one. I'd like to make my own, with the help of a mechanical engineer I know (and hopefully the advice of people on this forum. Will have specific questions later)

I was going to use that blower when I made my own, but I found it extremely difficult to find the piping to go with it. I ended up just using an inline fan instead of the squirrel cage type.It was much easier to mount it to a 2x8 and just sit it on the floor and run the piping out the wall. Either way, it is way cheaper to build your own downdraft then buy it. I built mine for like 230ish dollars. I still bought the L&L box from L&L that attaches to the bottom of my kiln stand though, but the rest I just got off the internet.

Thanks for the advice, Neil and Grype.

Marcia, I'll be firing on Sundays, when people are generally out. The one person who occasionally comes in on Sundays says she's fine with the kiln. There's a window and a large double door to the outside near my kiln, and usually a good draft coming through the studio, so it should be OK.

Archived