What To Use As Binder.

Babs

On reading about graffito paper in CAD, I went on to find that there is a way of mixing a printing medium using underglaze and a binder,.

What do you suggest would be a suitable binder. I think the process is that of placing tissue paper onto the made up paste, drawing your design on the tissue , then transferring this to your pot.  Anyone done this?

I read an article about making a thin transfer polymer made from underglaze and elmer's glue with or without xanthum gum. It was sited here on the forum about 6-8 months ago. I was curious about it at the time, but seemed to have lost my reference to the article also.

Jed

Hi Babs

As you are an Aussie, try Derivan Block Printing Medium, which is a clear, thick-ish waterbased printmaking gel and mix 1:1 with underglaze colour.  

Using a printmaking roller/brayer roll out a thin coating of the mix onto a glass sheet or other very smooth surface until a soft hissing sound is heard.

Take a piece of baking paper and, glossy side up, lay it on the rolled out ink and draw away with a pencil or ball point pen being careful not to rest your hand on the paper or it will pick up colour.

Lay the ink side of the drawn image on your clay surface and transfer by rubbing with a soft grey rubber rib or soft blue Mudtool rib.

Have used this method for some years, easy for flat surfaces and small images on curved but some pre-planning for larger images on curved surfaces.

Good luck and show us your trial pieces.

Irene

Thanks Irene, I said yes when I should have said no! Again!! I have to make soup bowls for a book launch. I need to have something about echidnas on them. I do have a lino print stamp but usually use this for slab work and I will be throwing these. May still go with the stamp or sgraffitto.

I have a tub of reducer which I use when screen printing so maybe that will do the same as the product you aresuggesting. I will test on a few tiles over the weekend.

Do you use this on bisque ware/

I'm hoping to do it on greenware.  Need to find a non moving clear to use with it.

Thanks.

Babs

Hi Babs

Have used screenprinting reducer (and textile print medium) as well but is less viscous and so better binder for dry colourants, block printing gel is more viscous and works with pre-mixed underglaze pastes.....either way will work.....though getting it onto a bowl surface will be an interesting exercise in ingenuity!

Have done my printing on greenware then fire it on at bisque. If the greenware is dry-ish leatherhard the gel doesn't move but if either mix seems too moist I have also added a sprinkle of cornstarch, mix and let sit 30mins, it soaks up some of the moisture and really stiffens the mix.

Irene

I've made done of these bowls with a flat centre, oxymoron, hate them, but there are commercial ones out there in a similar shape. 

This was my year for saying no

I'm taking this on and what drives me towards insanity a little more is the fact that it is filling my head and the rest of my work is not progressing.

Maybe should do a Ken Done ish echidna on majolica. Wrecks my days at the mo. :angry:   

Thanks for your info.    

Archived