Glaze And Oxide Question

I've been making up a pile of test tiles today (shino and ash glazes), and I was curious about whether I could just brush a streak of red iron oxide over a few of them..

My gut tells me that I need to add a flux to this sort of thing (I believe I've read that in a number of places), but I'm curious if the oxide alone would be stable after firing.  If I do need a flux, what would work nicely?  The same flux at work in the glaze itself?

Up to now, I've just used underglazes, often RIO straightup, or fluxed overglazes like in Majolica.  I've never painted on a glaze in high fire.

Edit:  I'll just try it and see.  If it doesn't work, I'll add some of the glaze flux for the next round of tiles.

Thanks, Min.  I will be firing in reduction.  I had a bit of a moment of uncertainty, worrying if it would melt sufficiently and then if the result would be stable enough.  Testing will confirm I guess, but I'm glad to know it should work ok. :)

Should have remembered iron oxide is a flux in reduction.  I feel a little silly forgetting that.

Iron is a flux in reduction so I wouldn't add any flux to it. (I'm assuming your shino's and ash will be fired in reduction?)

An oxidation or neutral atmosphere will cause iron to flux also, as long as one fires hot enough.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the surface with RIO over a glaze. Even when applied to a bare clay body, it does fine.

Archived