Problems With Glazing

Hello,

I am using AMACO glazes for the first time, and I need some kind advice. AMACO site shows wonderful effects when two layers of different glazes are used. I coated (brushed) the bottom part of one cup with three layers of PC20 and the second one with three layers of PC23, and trailed the top parts of each cup with three layers of PC53 with small overlap. According to the site info, I had to fire it once at 2195 deg.F with long down-fire. I programmed my kiln for 15 minutes exposure at 2195 deg.F with further down fire to 2012 deg.F for 60 min., followed by 5 minutes exposure and further cooling to 1900 deg.F within 60 min., followed by 5 min.exposure. I was not happy with the result, the colors were different from those at the AMACO site (dirty brown/yellow colors appeared in the overlap area and PC53 became unsmooth). Photographs of expected and my results are attached - the bowl is from AMACO site and the teacups are mine. Could you please advise my mistakes in applying AMACO glazes/selection of firing program?

Many thanks in advance,

Pavel

post-62498-0-63248300-1399056008_thumb.jpg

post-62498-0-59756400-1399056248_thumb.jpg

post-62498-0-82314800-1399056452_thumb.jpg

post-62498-0-63248300-1399056008_thumb.jpg

post-62498-0-59756400-1399056248_thumb.jpg

post-62498-0-82314800-1399056452_thumb.jpg

Of the few commercial,glazes I have bought. None have looked exactly like manufacturers pictures. Close approximation yes. You also have to take into account you are more than likely using different clay, and your kiln is not the same as their kiln.

There are a ton of variables at work here, so unfortunately the chances of getting it the same as that photo are not all that great. Different clay bodies and different kilns will have big impacts on the results. Differences in glaze thickness will have an even greater impact. It will be very difficult for you to apply your glazes in the same thickness they did- their 3 coats will not be the same as your 3 coats.

This is one of the main problems with commercial glazes. While you may be able to get a single glaze to look like the catalog picture, reproducing the effects of layered glazes is much more difficult. Add in specialized firing schedules and it becomes even more difficult. Keep testing, but be open to the possibility that you may have results that are nothing like the photo in the catalog. Try layering in different ways. Try different firing schedules. The plus side here is that there is a good chance you'll find something just as good or better.

The manufactured charts are just example not the exact results you will get. I know if i fire glaze in my kiln at home i get something a bit different than if i fire the same combo in the kiln at the school i teach. Use the manufactured suggestions as a starting point and find your own answer. I have found some amazing colors by just experimenting...take good notes.

Archived