Refiring ^ 6 Stoneware At ^06

It all depends on the glaze. I have one blue glaze that goes crystal white when refired at low temps. Better? Depends on what you like. Many iron reds also benefit from it, coming out more red and/or brighter. Often you can get a somewhat similar result from simply doing a slower cooling cycle. Again, depends on the glaze. Personally, I think a lot of the time the changes are only noticeable by us. The buying public wouldn't necessarily care unless it was so dramatically better that we could justify charging a higher price to cover the added labor and cost of doing a third firing.

Neil, covered it, though I would like to elaborate on the iron reds. This refire to a significantly lower temperature is know as striking. Specifically in the iron heavy glazes, the iron is activated at higher temperatures and further fluxes out the glaze. It also imposes localized reduction on the glaze body, causing the higher temperature iron glazes to trend towards reduction looks, even when fired in oxidation. The second firing allows the iron to oxidize as the iron does not activate at the lower temperature. Specifically in iron glazes, striking can be extremely effective to reproduce very powerful reds. I can't speak to the cost effectiveness of the refire for production wares, but certainly if you need a really strong red for limited production pieces, striking is a good option.

Hi Chris, I can try to grab some photos by the weekend, I couldn't easily find anything online, but I know we have some tests in the studio...

Edit: I've attached an image of two test tiles, where the one on the right was re-fired to show the effects of striking. Both samples were originally fired to c6.

I just unloaded a "strinking" test from this morning's bisque. I sent pice which had been single dipped in an iron rich glaze and fired to ^6 back through a ^07.5/^06 bisque. Incredibly different results. I wish I'd taken a before picture for comparison. Before it was an ugly brown with spots of tomato soup red where the glaze was a bit thicker; high gloss finish.

It sounds like I have very similar results to Babs. Now it's a very consistent orangey-red with a slightly less glossy finish. I'm excited to now try a piece that had a nicer red glaze coat after the first firing and see how that compares. I'm on the hunt for a foodsafe true red.

Hi Chris, I can try to grab some photos by the weekend, I couldn't easily find anything online, but I know we have some tests in the studio...

Edit: I've attached an image of two test tiles, where the one on the right was re-fired to show the effects of striking. Both samples were originally fired to c6.

Archived