#41 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Really good read all of this. Enjoyed reading your posts especially Norm.

I remember reading something about a self glazing clay that while it was drying it had some water soluble flux that was brought up to the surface. This then went onto turn the outer layer of clay into a glaze.

Have I just been confused in my reading or is this a different technique? This way seems to be making a clay that is 100% glaze/clay hybrid.

The  'soluble salts rising to the surface during drying' sounds like this is an Egyptian paste recipie you may be thinking of, which is a low firing self glazing body (often coloured turquoise though white and other colours may be had) the salts form as the 'glaze' layer over the form.  This body is used for smaller decorative pieces rather than functional ware.

Weblinks are:

http://ceramicartsda...yptianpaste.pdf

http://www.ceramicst...cles/092501.htm

http://www.amywaller...ery.com/faience

Anna's query is the 100% clay/glaze hybrid body.

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#42 crackpot

crackpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

I just came across this post and thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I went to a workshop a couple of years ago where a cone 04 translucent porcelain body was mentioned in passing by Kurt Weiser. The recipe is 50% NewZealand China Clay, 50% Ferro Frit 3195 and 2% VeeGum to increase plasticity. I have used it and it is extrodinarliy translucent and it totally vitrifies and self glazes. I have experimented a little with Mason stains as well to add a little colour and they work really well. Mix a little stain and a little of the frit and you have a nice way to add some colour.

I have found that although the VeeGum is supposed to be relatively colourless, it does add a pinkish tint.

I have used this to throw as well has to make hand formed beads. I found that if I bury the beads in a bisqued pot full of alumina hydrate, they will not stick together and come out quite matte but they have a lovely silky feeling. To remove the rough alumina that might stick to them, just pour the beads into a plastic bag, seal it and agitate with your hands, they will come out all nicely pollished.

For throwing, I find it quite soft and buttery, it hardens really nicely, not too fragile in the green state. When firing, I place the pots on a layer of alumina and then just sand of any alumina residue afterwards.

Here is a link to some images of some small pieces I made with it.

http://thecrackedpot...i-have-not.html

#43 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Beautiful!! Do you find the shrinkage rate is enormous? And it looks like yours is a bit easier to trim than the recipes I've been making. Did you trim at Leatherhard or when it was a bit drier? Mine seems to need to be a bit harder as they've all had a really fudgey/nougat type consistency at Leatherhard!

#44 crackpot

crackpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Shrinkage is huge, but I have not done any tests to give you an accurate percentage. I would guestimte 25%.

As for trimming, yes, slightly drier workes best. I had previously invested in a tungsten carbide trim tool and it will trim bone dry much easier (even regular bisque for that matter).

#45 AnnaM

AnnaM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

The latest nearing-success story:

Cullet              65

Kaolin             10

clay ceram      25

whiting            20

molochite       15

bentonite          1

Its very white, strong and translucent. I fired it to cone 05. The clay ceram (or star cast as its also known here) is the same as your tennessee ball call I think?  Its a very plastic, white firing ball clay. 

It came out nice and plastic, fine to throw and a bit easier to trim than some of the recipes.

Attached File  04 porcelain B3 + cullet small.jpg   321.08KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users