Keeping First Pieces

Do you still have any of your very first pieces hanging around?

I got some of my very first attempts home yesterday, and I was so proud when I showed my husband and the look on his face when he asked, "You Made These?"!

I now have a new candy dish, coffee mug, pencil holder for my desk and one for hubbys. I get these warm fuzzies every time I see them even though they are extremely wonky. :wub: 

My first piece was a necklace with a Egyptian cat medallion, it was showcased in Junior High and stolen.  My son took my second piece when he moved so I have my third piece.  After that I lost track of what came next, it good to keep begining work you can tell how far you have progressed.  Denice

My first "piece" was made forty years ago at my first adult pottery evening class ..... it was a pebble pot pig which I glazed with a glorious honey-coloured glaze with brown on top which gave a (sadly) unrepeatable but lovely finish!  It still graces my studio.  Thank you for this topic - it made me reminisce and gave me a nice feeling!

Christine

I recently showed my very first pot alongside a mug I made in the last few months in a show called Then & Now. I titled the piece Dumb Lucky. It's an attempt at a ceramic maté gourd that I made in 2007 during my first clay class at St. Michael's College. The form is a little clunky, but overall pretty well thrown. I got... well... dumb lucky with the glaze, as I had no idea what I was doing. I'll never part with that one. It was on a bookshelf at home for years, but after showing it a couple months back I have been keeping it on my desk in the office at the studio.

I spent the next six or so months making far less successful pots... HEAVY, unbalanced forms I like to call robber stoppers. My parents have a bunch of these, mostly bowls, that inevitably get broken out for family dinner when I'm visiting. Much to my chagrin. Most everything else from that era has been turned into mosaic material.  

post-13602-0-64213900-1386179620_thumb.jpeg

A lot of my first pieces ended up in my parents home, now an LLC property owned by the family. I was just up there for hunting season, and happened to notice one of my Ceramics 1 mugs sitting on the kitchen window sill. . . frightening!

I wanted to thank everyone for the awesome replies! I think now I'll keep all of my "firsts" in house instead of tossing them in the rubbish bin.

Who knows, maybe one day this new born passion will turn into something more. LOL

Perhaps I've already been bitten! I tried my hand today at 2 small slab pieces, and I have ZERO instruction on hand building. I don't think they are half bad either, to be honest. "We'll see, said the blind man.". :rolleyes:

Hello All,

I got a few chuckles at some of the other replies, especially the mug on the window sill.

I have a lot of my first pieces used as cats bowls, each night when I feed the cats I look at the wonky bowls and awfully turned feet and marvel how bad they are...

It took me ages to get something off the wheel that was more than an inch high, so I was quite proud of my first attempts at the time. At times I feel like I have not come very far with my throwing but looking back at my first ones I can see the improvement.

I think it's a great way to gauge how you are going to look back on the past disasters..   :)

Ret, on a humid day in Sydney,  Oz... 

Hey Just Peachy ! My parents still use the teabag pot I made when I was 13.... Its very lurid :)

On the subject of hand building, check out the download here on Sandra Pierantozzi''s building with soft slabs. ( No, I am not a shill for CAD !!) I find this DVD amazingly useful, and after using some of her techniques in the class I attend, all my classmates started using them as well. There's also one by Gail Kendall about building with coils and slabs.

The only frustrating thing is watching master craftspeople make it look super-easy, and then not being able to make the clay do what you want, as Norm said ! I have SO many wonky three cornered bottom mugs ! At least I'm not selling 'em on Etsy.......

Archived