• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

UGH ... The worst part is she is still out there shopping!!

"Shoperzilla", coming soon to a craft show near you! Perhaps we should post wanted posters!?! Or, would that be "Not Wanted" posters?  :rolleyes:

Made me think of a guy who sat next to me at my first wheel class... We were struggling to learn how to center clay, all of our cylinders were different size, different shape, different thicknesses, but all were rather wonky and weird, no two were the same, so we called them "art"! And, that evolved into a running joke about a reality TV Show entitled "The Great American Potters". The show featured the wacky and frustrating moments of learning to be a potter and bring your wares to market... I think this craft show experience must have been a scene from episode 10!

Reality show title:  "As The Wheel Turns". :rolleyes:

best,

.............john

PS:  On public TV in Japan I have many times seen regular TV programming that features potters as main characters. When it happens, it is always a real "wake up" reminder to me that Japan is a verry different place when it comes to pottery.

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#22 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

She came to the studio this weekend. I had a large yellow sign on the front street that said;"Studio Sale Today." I had a rope across our front steps of the house, blocking the entrance, with a sign that said ;"Studio in the back"

I had another large woodenboard, same colour yellow as the front one that said;"Studio Sale Today," on one side with an arrow in red duct tape pointing to the studio, placed in the backlane. The front sign also has an arrow. Our current brochure was attached as well. The one she recieved either in her mail box, or on-line.

My studio is also yellow, but more of a yellow ochre.[see gallery pics,]

She said;"You should have a sign saying where your studio is."

We were standing in my studio at the time. It has two doors, windows all around every side, full of pottery, and people.

I said;"You seem to have found it all right."

At age 60, I am a bit reluctant to do anything when a person says I should do this or that.

She did buy something. I didn't put any more signs out.

TJR.

#23 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 850 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

My worst Shopperzilla story. Luckily this was many years ago now ...

Two women walk into my booth. They look like they are related, like sisters, or maybe mother/daughter. They appear to be enjoying each other's company. Woman 1 picks out a nice $50 pot and buys it. After I hand her the shopping bag, she holds it out to Woman 2 and says "I bought this for you." 

Woman 2 flies into a rage. "OH NO YOU DON'T!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!" They argue about it loudly.

Woman 1 adopts a disturbingly calm demeanor, like someone with a whole lotta experience with emotional extortion. "If you don't accept it, I'll make the potter take it back."

Woman 2 has experience too, and doesn't fall for it. "I don't care."

Woman 1 turns her creepy calm manner towards me. "I'd like to return this."

I don't know what to say. I find her knucklebuster receipt in my apron, tear it in half, and hand it to her. The two of them leave without saying another word. Neither of them says "sorry."

In the days that followed, I thought of so many snappy comebacks that I could have used, if my flustered brain had been working at the time. But eventually, I decided it was best that I said nothing. It doesn't benefit you to get angry, but it can possibly hurt you. 

It was a decent show, but I never went back to that show.

Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#24 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

Ah the show stories section of this thread-

Well worst this is not but 10 years ago at a three day show friday was slow and on Saturday am an older woman came in with a man in tow asking about buying $900 in glasses (tumblers) which I usually do not have that kind of backstock but as a fluke I had mistakenly brought many extra bioxes of them-She was getting these for a large GM retirement group dinner (show was in AZ)

she wanted one at every place setting-I loaded up my dolly and sent the old guy out to his car and took a check for the whole lot.

I thought the show was picking up???

Next day Sunday am here she comes and I can see her face from 100 feet away and know there is AN ISSUE-turns out she did not have the authority to make such a deal-I did what I always do and thats the right thing-I gave them my dolly and the old guy brought the boxs back and I gave them the check back.

It's a strange world and doing the right thing always comes back well-that said I never have sold that many glasses at a single time since.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#25 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Not a 'worst' story, but my current favorite, and from the same show as the nightmare woman the thread is about.
My partner works the cash box and rights tickets, I work the floor and talk to people. We dress alike and often people assume he is the potter.
At this show while I was busy with other customers, an elderly woman asks my partner, "Are you the potter?" He replies ," No, I'm the clay assistant." She winks at him and says, "But I bet you sleep with the potter!"
Got to love me an old lady with sass!

#26 jolieo

jolieo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi

I am a waitress and have been for years and years in a very busy restaurant. I wont bore w the stories that happened to me. There have been so many. Here is my conclusion. They do this on a regular basis, they have it down pat. Just like a mark is a scam , she interacted w you and got hip to the fact that you had never experienced anything like her before, and then put you through her well honed routine. 

Some routines are benign, perhaps strange or confusing, but over all harmless. I find that I get a fluster of shame of having to deal with the mean ones. Because it is so very public, I want to turn to those I know are listening and say , very loudly : "None of this has anything to do with me!!!". After watching the nuts go after fellow servers, I have realized that everyone else is just glad the nut didn't target them ! If I deal w them respectfully and don"t loose my cool, I will usually get sympathy tips from neighboring tables! You will see it coming next time, and you will deal w it so that you are not so uncomfortable. Maybe another scammer will con you again but that will be about it cuz you will know by the gut feeling when you talk to them. 

I am in a position where I cannot put limits on their demands, but I can ask what they expect from me, repeat it back to them and tell them if it is achievable or not. Once they have boundaries , they cannot cross them w/o being the a**hole and then I just get my manager. It is at the point for me that I can spot them before they sit down, or at least before they get their drink order in.

You could have all the signs up in the world, it won't change if they target you or not. They target you because you fit the criterion of being a mark. A sitting duck. So dealing w it is just a matter of refusing to give them the audience they crave. They count on the conflicting feelings fueling things.

Jolie 

#27 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I do not have any "rules" for people who own my work.  It may sound awful, but I will sell to a racist, a bigot, rich, poor, black, white, any nationality as long as they pay.  I am not a social activist, I am a potter who wants to sell. If they are wearing a gun, no problem, if they are loud, no problem, if they are quite and meek...again no problem.   I just want to sell. 

I know this has nothing to do with the original message, I have just read a few posts about not selling to a certain type of person.

As to the original post, I have never need in that situation, I have held things for a short period of time and every time they came back and purchased.  I suppose I will continue until I get burned.  I try to bring enough stuff that one single piece is not much of a worry.  When I do have this situation I hope I can handle it was well as you did.  Good Job!

• TJR likes this
Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#28 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

The two guys I told leave my booth as I would not sell to them (two seperate shows) where obnoxious-rude insulting and mean real knuckleheads.

After decades of shows it will happen to you. I will sell my work to anyone except the very few who push you over the top.

Its just a matter of time when one of these humuans shows up. This is true in any retail setting.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#29 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

I just remembered I had this guy at our booth this past weekend. He was looking at our cappuccino mugs, in particular a color scheme we call Mocha. It has a dark espresso brown glaze on the rim and a Cocoa colored body. Both glazes are rather beautiful, but if hold the spray gun just right and for exactly the right amount of time, I get a beautiful oxford grey line where the two glazes overlap. I can get this affect on about 8 out of 10 pots. I was down to two pots sporting this look, but on one the grey line was about 1/8th of inch higher on the form than the other. And one was about maybe an 1/8th of an inch larger in diameter than the other. He wanted a perfect match, and was rather concerned the two mugs were "so different"...

I explained about the nature of "hand made", but he was insistent... I would really like them to be precisely the same... Logic would not win the day. So, I knew this had nothing to do with the difference between the mugs, it was him. So, I told him about my three favorite cups for my morning French Press... All by a potter named David Voll, who's work I love. Every cup is slightly different. I explained that's the fun of it for me, noticing the difference and appreciating what made each of those three cups unique and different. I told him that while all of David's work was of the same shape and generally the same size, each gave me it's own special pleasure that the other two could not. And sometimes I would look forward to a drip, smear, or feel of finger ridge I knew belonged to one cup, but not the other two. In short, I told him it was OK to enjoy the differences... He purchased both mugs.

Mike you get some coffee, because coffe is for closers!
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#30 MikeFaul

MikeFaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHerndon, Virginia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Mike you get some coffee, because coffe is for closers!

Wish I had a dime for every time I've heard that one!

#31 MikeFaul

MikeFaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationHerndon, Virginia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

I do not have any "rules" for people who own my work.  It may sound awful, but I will sell to a racist, a bigot, rich, poor, black, white, any nationality as long as they pay.  I am not a social activist, I am a potter who wants to sell. If they are wearing a gun, no problem, if they are loud, no problem, if they are quite and meek...again no problem.   I just want to sell. 

Amen...

Two guys came in the studio a couple of weeks ago. They mulled around, and left as they were out walking their dog and didn't have time to stay. When they left one of the potters said "They are our perfect customer, they are the nicest gay couple in town and they have money!" I was put off by this, and asked the team, " Why is it when a husband and wife come in no one says "They are a wonderful heterosexual couple?" I simply don't care what they do, wear, believe, are, or are not beyond those wants and needs our wares and talents can address... And, I know, that should I start I'll loose more business than I'll ever gain. I haven't yet found a place where prejudice and performance mix...
  • TJR likes this

#32 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

yeah but ruthB was referring to a bigot bringing that crap into her booth. A bigot that will bring it into a art/craft fair booth or pottery store is pretty hardcore and going to clear your booth or store quickly if you let them continue.

I'd make it clear that I need them to leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users