Fixing A Slightly Warped Wonderbat

I have used and loved my wonderbat with 6 square inserts for 3 or 4 years and stored it properly on its edge, but suddenly it won't seat completely level on the wheel head. There's a very slight wobble.  I cannot find a website for the manufacturer, Rocky Mountain Wood masters, but someone at Clay-Planet told me to wet it and weight it down on something level.  Before I try that, I'd like to know if any of you has experience with this product.   (I know that some have written in the past that this kind of bat isn't worth it, but I have found it delightful to use. I don't ever throw more than six items in one day, so I haven't had need for more inserts. I enjoy not having to remove a piece right away, and they save space on drying shelves. And I can easily remove the square from the round by sticking an old apple corer into the corner space. Works perfectly to lever it up!)

If I try this, how wet should I get the bat?

Love this community, by the way!

Ginny C

"The Wonder Bat System, pictured, uses an Adapter Plate and comes with six 6" square inserts. This is great for smaller objects like cups and small bowls. All of the Wonder Bats are made with a phenolic resin. They don't swell up and they don't warp like thinner mansonite. And they're priced less than many plastic bats!

Wonder Bats are made with a treated composite panel product that was developed for applications in exterior and high moisture interior environments. They are similar to Plaster in the way they release the pot when it becomes leather hard. Drilled for standard 3/8" diameter pins on 10" centers. Best of all, no holes on the top side!"

That's all from the Clay-Planet website.

Of course mine HAS now warped a bit, evidently! 

bruce, it is the holder that is in trouble, not the individual bats.

ginny, i have used a similar system for years and know why you love it.  mine eventually swelled and became loose so l got a masonite bat, a Duron bat from someone out on the west coast and had a carpenter make me a new holder for the inserts.  this particular carpenter was actually a cabinet maker who had a laser system for carving designs in the doors of very expensive cabinets.  he agreed to make the bat holder.  it may be difficult to find someone who can do this but since you have the insets you might try finding someone local.  it was not expensive, actually, i think i gave him a lunch plate with a fish on it since he was a fisherman.

a regular carpenter did one for me first and he did me a "favor" and varnished it, which made the hole too small for the bat inserts.  i paid him and ordered a second one for the man who actually did it.   do not varnish masonite bats, they work fine for many years if you treat them with some respect and do not leave them soaking in water.

I had the same issue, for the same reason.  I ran it under the faucet till it was wet all over, put it on a regular heavy composit bat, stacked 3 more bats on top and finished it off with a concrete block.. over-kill, probably, but what ever! 

I left it for a week, no peeking.  when I unloaded it, it was flat and has stayed that way through usage ever since.  Go for it!

Thanks all.  It seems to have fixed itself! I had left it lying on a piece of hardi-board while I was deciding what to do about it, and when I tried it on my wheel yesterday it was fine.  If it happens again I'll follow Clay Lover's suggestion and go for it! And Old Lady's idea of hanging it on a nail might be better than the way I've always stored it, just standing on its edge and leaning against something.  Thanks!

The Wonder Bat system is really great for potters like me who are not professional and just like to throw lots of pots whose bases are no wider than 6 inches.  And once again, just to be clear—it was not the 6" square insert bats that warped!  It was the circular bat with the 6" cut-out, but it's now flat again.

After spending the summer in Michigan where I throw in a non-profit shared studio (that's the space in my member photo), I'm back home and ready to use my cellar studio here, which I spent time yesterday cleaning and organizing. Critters and bugs had taken over! And I moved my wheel, after watching Adam Field's new video, to face the wall (with a mirror there), giving me more walk-around space in the middle. Ready to make pots!

Ginny

Archived