Can I Really Stack Underglaze Painted Item In Bisque Firing?

Pugaboo

Bciskpottery - I did art festivals for 10 years or so and have learned not to take anything said to heart. I have done shows where I sold nothing the entire time I was there but never gave up and packed it in early. Have also done shows where I didn't sell anything for 2 days then on the 3rd had tons of sales including a $1500 one. By doing shows and listening to people chatting or asking me questions it helped me to be able to talk about my work and my artistic vision. It also helped me realize that sometimes the general public hasn't a clue to what's involved in making something so some gentle educating is called for.

Since pottery is a new medium for me it will be interesting to see how the new work is met by the general public. I am also exhibiting in a brand new part of the country and in a small town at that which is also new since I only did large cities in the past. It will also be interesting to see what things attract people and what type items are ho hum boring seen it a million times and couldn't care less. Getting older having a disabled husband and 5 dogs I want to only do local festivals from now on. Festivals where I can sleep in my own bed at night so getting an idea what type items are popular in the area is kind of important. And that's a little bit more on where I am coming from and hopefully where I am heading!

T

• 5 months later...

I fired my kiln two days ago, and had just the right amount of shelf space so everything got it's own space.  I remember reading on here a few weeks back about tumble stacking, but couldn't be asked to walk indoors, up-the-stairs to search for it, and anyway, I was certain there was no reference to underglazes in the photos shown and comments.

There were 80 key rings, as shown in the picture, and they were all stamped on one side with either Duncan Velvet underglaze in Dark Green or Royal Blue and Duncan Concepts Briarwood or Delft Blue, or a mix of any combination as the felt ran dry.  The other side was stencilled with the same colours but mainly Duncan Velvets.

As I was loading I wondered what would happen........... So I took two of the least-good ones and stacked them.  On emptying the kiln I discovered that almost all had left a shadow on the bat wash but were not stuck or ruined, and the two that were stacked had transferred their pattern to each other as a shadow. 

What I'm now wondering, is will the shadow notice after they've been dipped in clear glaze and fired to ^6?  Time to find out will be next Friday when they come back out of the kiln.

post-59202-0-15578100-1393582837_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-15578100-1393582837_thumb.jpg

The dark colors (black, dark blue, dark red) always leave "ghost" marks behind on the kiln wash. It's interesting to see the signatures, from the bottoms of underglazed wares, still on the shelf, when you remove them. In fact, that would be an interesting print/ transfer method. Make a negative image, add fire it face down on a contrasting colored surface, and there you have a ceramicc ghost print.

Reds (as well as pinks, purples, and yellows) tend to be finicky.  Some work better than others, e.g., dark red vs. light red.  But there is a tendency to see fading at ^6 and above.

For your studio mates who believe underglazes are not for “real†potters, here are a few images from my recent collaboration with Hsi-Mei Yates for her upcoming exhibit at Liberty Town Art in Fredericksburg, VA.  I made the pottery; she did the artwork.  Hsi-Mei is my Chinese brush painting instructor; I started classes with her as I was frustrated with my brushwork on pottery and wanted to learn brush loading, strokes, etc.  I was most fortunate in that Hsi-Mei, after finishing her schooling, began work decorating vases and pottery for a ceramics company in Taiwan.  She was one of the artists allowed to do free-style decorating, while others were given templates to copy.  These are the first pottery she has decorated in about 30 years.  Yep, real “paint your pottery†stuff. 

Clay body is Highwater’s Little Loafers; underglazes are Amaco Velvets.  Bisque fired to ^05; glazed with clear (non-commercial) and fired to ^6.

Bciske,

Really nice brush work.

Marcia

• 1 year later...

Archived