25 replies to this topic

#21 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've got to put in a good word for Brent. My 7 year-old EX is a good wheel. A few weeks ago the controller started malfunctioning. I took it apart to make sure it wasn't something I could fix then called Brent. Bob Randof said "I'll send you a new controller." While kicking myself, I said, "It's not under warranty anymore." He said, "I know. That's our best wheel and nothing on it should go out in 7 years." I was obviously impressed but I was even more impressed when I looked it up and found out that a new controller like the one he was sending me for free cost $425.

Jim

Jim-
was that wheel controller one of the "digital" controllers they made around 2005-2006 where it had a "soft" push button for on/off and wheel head direction?  If so, I think that Bob has been doing his damndest to get as many of those back to brent and out of the public's hands as he can--I had this experience with him twice and he was nothing short of amazing in terms of his speed and knowledge.  I think the fact that he was willing to acknowledge (and make right!) a mistake in design really sold me on brent as a brand, as far as wheels go.

Yes, the controller buttons were flush with side of the controller which made them hard to find when clay got on the controller. After I posted about the good service, I did a search for Brent controllers and found an old post on this forum from Neil about that controller not being a good one. That and your comment above convince me that while it was still great service and Bob is very helpful, he was basically correcting a mistake by Brent. Most companies would have been happy to charge me $425 plus shipping to correct their mistake.

Did you have two wheels with that controller?

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#22 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBC. Canada

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi Brad,

Never having used a Brent wheel I don't have an opinion on them...I do have 2 of Baileys' Pro series wheels...

The guild, I am a member at, uses wheels with removable splash pans...Great because of the rule that the pan must be cleaned after each use..

For my studio though I find the slurry drain at the back of the pan and a small removable side door which allows me to push trimmings and dried slurry out the side into a 5 gallon bucket works well for my application.  I will leave my wheel dirty if I'm using the same clay for days at a time.  Then using a sponge I just wash out the remaining clay into the drain bucket and it's onto the next...

My .02 and a thumbs up for Baileys

Peter

#23 Rebel_Rocker

Rebel_Rocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

Both appear to be good wheels from everyone's comments.

But the new one seems like a no brainer, no wear and tear, warranty, no driving and same price...

#24 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I've got to put in a good word for Brent. My 7 year-old EX is a good wheel. A few weeks ago the controller started malfunctioning. I took it apart to make sure it wasn't something I could fix then called Brent. Bob Randof said "I'll send you a new controller." While kicking myself, I said, "It's not under warranty anymore." He said, "I know. That's our best wheel and nothing on it should go out in 7 years." I was obviously impressed but I was even more impressed when I looked it up and found out that a new controller like the one he was sending me for free cost $425.

Jim

Jim-
was that wheel controller one of the "digital" controllers they made around 2005-2006 where it had a "soft" push button for on/off and wheel head direction?  If so, I think that Bob has been doing his damndest to get as many of those back to brent and out of the public's hands as he can--I had this experience with him twice and he was nothing short of amazing in terms of his speed and knowledge.  I think the fact that he was willing to acknowledge (and make right!) a mistake in design really sold me on brent as a brand, as far as wheels go.

Yes, the controller buttons were flush with side of the controller which made them hard to find when clay got on the controller. After I posted about the good service, I did a search for Brent controllers and found an old post on this forum from Neil about that controller not being a good one. That and your comment above convince me that while it was still great service and Bob is very helpful, he was basically correcting a mistake by Brent. Most companies would have been happy to charge me $425 plus shipping to correct their mistake.

Jim

Exactly. Those were bad controllers, and Brent has been replacing them no questions asked. Big mistake putting those into production.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#25 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Jim

Jim-

Jim

Exactly. Those were bad controllers, and Brent has been replacing them no questions asked. Big mistake putting those into production.

It's kind of like an automotive recall, where they urge you to take your vehicle in, so they can fix the "Sticking accelerator" or something of the like.  It's their fault, and they rightfully take care of the cost.  The only difference here is that a bad potter's wheel part, probably isn't going to injure or kill anyone......Of course I say that knowing that Jim has some crazy story to the contrary. 

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#26 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

I don't have a wheel yet but am planning to take a class early next year so have been reading the topics about wheels. Does the Bailey reverse? I'm left handed and it might be better for me to throw in reverse as I've read under other topics. Sorry to kind of but in but was wondering reading all the postings if both or only one of these wheels spin both directions.

I do love that my slab roller will roll in from either direction so having that option on a wheel I think is going to be a requirement for me.

Thanks for any input on this.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users