24 replies to this topic

#21 Kristin_Gail

Kristin_Gail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Is this a super-secret recipe, Mark?  I'm trying to get away with coating the inside of this experimental kiln with something inexpensive, then do the soft-brick-soaked-in-ITC-100 method of Nils when I build my real one (soon, hopefully).

I now also have my own salt resit coating so ITC is for other applications. 

Mark

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

PM sent

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

It's powdered in the container (can't remember if this is how it came or not?).  

I have an older container of ITC 100 (1-gal?) that is dry powder like yours and was unsure of it coming like this in the past since I've only seen it wet.  It's from our old Tech's supplies from who knows when (container/label looks at least 10-15yrs old).  The last time I bought some myself it came wet just like any kiln mortar or IFB cement and there were no options for a dry version.  I asked a few companies and everyone I've always asked said it only came wet even though the label specifies to "add water and mix well" (so I can only assume this is how it "used to come" many years ago).  I have not called up ITC to confirm this though.  

I know a local who coated his gas kiln with ITC 100 and it reduced his ^10 firing time by at least 2hrs.  I'd say the stuff works IMO.

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Maybe coming dry will extend the shelf like.

#25 Kristin_Gail

Kristin_Gail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

My bottle/jar does say I need to add water, but I do remember now that it came wet.  I also know I did *not* pay $100 for this thing!  It's so sad mine appears to be no longer usable.  A real waste - I only had used maybe an ounce of it on the first two applications, years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users