Stand Up Potters Wheel...help Finding One

All,

New to the forum...

I am in need of some serious help. When I was in high school we had a pottery program and I would love to find the wheel that I learned on.

It was a metal framed, 4 leg stand up unit with a push bar on the bottom that you pushed with your foot. It was about 3 feet high and had a back brace and everything.

I have found something similar which I found was called a Dan-De Potters wheel, see attached photo.  This is as close as I can find to the one that I learned on

Any help on this is GREATLY appreciated

Ed.

post-58444-0-32953500-1373398542_thumb.jpg

post-58444-0-84732100-1373398601_thumb.jpg

post-58444-0-32953500-1373398542_thumb.jpg

post-58444-0-84732100-1373398601_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I looked at the one on danielsmith.....woo hoo they are proud of that thing.  But yes that is the type that we used in school.  Benzin the one in the photo is an Amaco model 4-402.  If found that one while searching the treadle wheel info above.  They are also very hard to find it seems.

All,

Thanks so much for all the information.  This has been of great help and here is to hoping that I can get back into pottery.  I am going to visit one of the local artists to see if I can get some wheel time in her studio to get back into it without having to purchase everything right now.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I looked at the one on danielsmith.....woo hoo they are proud of that thing.  But yes that is the type that we used in school.  Benzin the one in the photo is an Amaco model 4-402.  If found that one while searching the treadle wheel info above.  They are also very hard to find it seems.

I have one, in my classroom.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of it actually.  It takes up more space, than I want to spare, and is at an awkward height for most my students, even with a stool.  I'd rather replace it with another electric wheel.

All,

Thanks so much for all the information.  This has been of great help and here is to hoping that I can get back into pottery.  I am going to visit one of the local artists to see if I can get some wheel time in her studio to get back into it without having to purchase everything right now.

Have you considered leg extensions to a regular wheel? 

I leaned on 4 different wheels but none of them are worth buying now(oscar pual is long gone as well as alpine power wheels. I would reconsider your choice unless you are off the grid.

A good power wheel on leg extenstions is the same hieght and will work better and have better resale value and take less space.

Mark

benzine, which model do you have that you are looking to get rid of?

I would prefer to not have an electric wheel.  I would really like to get back to the basics of what I learned on.  I really enjoyed the feel of the kick pedal and the height was perfect for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived