OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Off the subject:
Jim, I like your cup. It reminds me this sculpture:

Yeap, that's what I was thinking about when I made it.

Jim

That one almost deserves a creepy yellow chuckling face - Min

What I meant was: The cup by itself is smooth and elegant, and it is surrounded by rough sculptured clay, much like the sculpture I showed.
This is how I see it. Again, very nice work Jim.

Thank you, Claypple.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#22 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Chris!

My supplier here in Switzerland replaced the SOUTHERN ICE with "Earthstone MING ES120"

Sedgefield Pottery (for example) says:

Description: An ancient Chinese formula, extremely white very translucent body. One of the best throwing porcelains with excellent standing properties. Fluxed with a slow acting flux to minimise slumping Intended for cones 7-10. Firing 1220°-1280°C

The lower temp could be just a bit higher than cone 6? But the translucency is better at the highest temp, no? Mudma, you could give it a try.

Regarding the MING, well, I wasn't aboslutely satisfied with throwing this porcelain clay. I have to find a way to order the ICE again.

Greetings from Switzerland

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#23 mudma1999

mudma1999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hi Heidi

I was very excited by the photos and interested to hear about the shrinkage and cracking and of course the translucency. Frost has a high shrinkage as well, cracking is also an issue but I noticed that NZ6 is a better price and looks to be as translucent. How do you find it for trimming, I know with frost I had to sharpen my tools before each trimming.
Thanks for the info

Hi mudma (and everyone else), I'm new too.
I've never used Frost, though reading posts in here I've been intrigued by it, and plan on trying it soon. (Also, it's good to read the reviews from Jim on Cool Ice and Frost.)
You may be interested in another porcelain I just started using recently from Tacoma Clay Art, NZ6. While I'm getting more cracking than I'm used to and it shrinks a whopping 16%, it throws like a dream and is deliciously translucent. Here's a tumbler I made with it a few months ago.

[/quote]

[quote name='Heidi K' date='01 June 2013 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1370106618' post='36274']
[quote name='mudma1999' date='31 May 2013 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1370045798' post='36249']
Hi Everyone
I'm new and was just wondering if anyone had tried Cool Ice cone 6 porcelain. I am on my way to Clay art In Tacoma to pick up CL129 ENGLISH GROLLEG. I like this clay but find that it is not as white as frost. I have heard that Southern Ice (cone 10 ) is very nice and was wondering if the Cool ice was the same.
Any info would be appreciated
[/quote]

I've never used Frost, though reading posts in here I've been intrigued by it, and plan on trying it soon. (Also, it's good to read the reviews from Jim on Cool Ice and Frost.)
You may be interested in another porcelain I just started using recently from Tacoma Clay Art, NZ6. While I'm getting more cracking than I'm used to and it shrinks a whopping 16%, it throws like a dream and is deliciously translucent. Here's a tumbler I made with it a few months ago.

[/quote]

#24 Heidi K

Heidi K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi Heidi

I was very excited by the photos and interested to hear about the shrinkage and cracking and of course the translucency. Frost has a high shrinkage as well, cracking is also an issue but I noticed that NZ6 is a better price and looks to be as translucent. How do you find it for trimming, I know with frost I had to sharpen my tools before each trimming.
Thanks for the info

Hi Mudma,

This is another porcelain that definitely trims better with sharp tools. I often find myself swapping out tools, looking for one in my pile that's a little sharper. Reading all of these posts has made me want to try Frost, since I can get that locally instead of driving an hour to Tacoma. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like if I like NZ6 I'll also like Frost.
Heidi Kunkel
www.heidispottery.com

#25 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Heidi,

I think you should definitely try Frost and let us know what you think. That'll save me the trouble of having to try NZ6.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#26 Heidi K

Heidi K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

Heidi,

I think you should definitely try Frost and let us know what you think. That'll save me the trouble of having to try NZ6.

Jim

I'm due for a trip to Seattle Pottery Supply in the next week or two anyway, so I'll grab a bag to test and compare and keep everyone posted.
Heidi Kunkel
www.heidispottery.com

#27 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

All this cool ice talk got me thinking can I use this instead of ice in the drink cooler now thats it a June heat wave?Never used cool ice but its got to cold with that name.
Now I need to get some little loafers(size 12-13) to wear.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#28 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

All this cool ice talk got me thinking can I use this instead of ice in the drink cooler now thats it a June heat wave?Never used cool ice but its got to cold with that name.
Mark

Mark, you really can. I make whiskey cups with porcelain ice cubes. You keep the porcelain cubes in the freezer and use them like regular ice cubes. It cools your whiskey almost as well as ice cubes and, best of all, it doesn't dilute good whiskey.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#29 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'm due for a trip to Seattle Pottery Supply in the next week or two anyway, so I'll grab a bag to test and compare and keep everyone posted.
[/quote]

if you go will you see if they have a copy of Joe Finch's book of Kiln Construction? several people want it, sort of since they didn't really DO anything about buying the one i had until i sold it.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#30 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

[

Mark, you really can. I make whiskey cups with porcelain ice cubes. You keep the porcelain cubes in the freezer and use them like regular ice cubes. It cools your whiskey almost as well as ice cubes and, best of all, it doesn't dilute good whiskey.

Jim
[/quote]

i hope you have fired that porcelain before freezing it. i can just see mark in his sling and big fat loafers dropping wet porcelain blobs in his bear to drink with his abalone.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#31 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Mark

Jim

Nice, I never thought to make whiskey stones.

I bought my brother some, a couple years ago, the stone type. Some of the reviews I read, were hilarious. One customer complained, that the stones were horrible, because they used them in one of their kid's drinks. The kid, tipped the glass back, and the stones fell forward and damaged their teeth.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#32 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Jim

i hope you have fired that porcelain before freezing it. i can just see mark in his sling and big fat loafers dropping wet porcelain blobs in his bear to drink with his abalone.

Now you almost made me spit my beer on the keyboard laughing! That's quite an image even if I don't know what Mark looks like.

Jim

E pur si muove.

#33 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I explained the image better on the lidded box thread-sorry if I busted your bubble with the shoes and drink image.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#34 mudma1999

mudma1999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

OK so I'm off to Clayart in Tacoma and Seattle Pottery Supply on Wed to buy porcelain and other bits and bobs. Going to get 3 different kinds,ENGLISH GROLLEG 6, NZ6,and Frost. The grolleg will be my main purchase,500lbs but I will give frost one more try and I'll try NZ6 for the first time. I have decided to give the Cool ice a pass, at $68 for 44lbs. It's a little rich for my blood.
Thanks for all of the info and comments, I will post after I try them all. Then the glaze testing will begin.............. sigh

#35 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

OK so I'm off to Clayart in Tacoma and Seattle Pottery Supply on Wed to buy porcelain and other bits and bobs. Going to get 3 different kinds,ENGLISH GROLLEG 6, NZ6,and Frost. The grolleg will be my main purchase,500lbs but I will give frost one more try and I'll try NZ6 for the first time. I have decided to give the Cool ice a pass, at $68 for 44lbs. It's a little rich for my blood.
Thanks for all of the info and comments, I will post after I try them all. Then the glaze testing will begin.............. sigh

Give them all a test and let us know what you think. Good choice on Cool Ice. It's good but nothing special and not nearly as translucent as Frost.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#36 Heidi K

Heidi K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Well, I'm sad to say that Seattle Pottery Supply doesn't have any Frost at the moment, and Claudia who works there said she wasn't sure if they were temporarily out of it or if they're not going to stock it anymore. I broke down and bought one bag of Cool Ice, but man oh man I hope I don't like it. It's over 5 times as expensive as my usual porcelain!
I was there right before closing and they were really busy. I asked if they had Joe Finch's book of kiln construction, but they didn't know offhand and didn't have time to check. Sorry!
Heidi Kunkel
www.heidispottery.com

#37 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Here is a tip for those who just want the bright white color of the more expensive porcelain, but are not overly concerned about translucency.
Use it as a slip.
Yes, make a yogurt thick slip of the expensive porcelain and brush it on the firmed surface of your less white clay..
Leave it alone for a bit since the moisture from the slip will soften the vessel.
I have done this with success on tiles and on outside surfaces of vessels.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#38 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Well, I'm sad to say that Seattle Pottery Supply doesn't have any Frost at the moment, and Claudia who works there said she wasn't sure if they were temporarily out of it or if they're not going to stock it anymore. I broke down and bought one bag of Cool Ice, but man oh man I hope I don't like it. It's over 5 times as expensive as my usual porcelain!
I was there right before closing and they were really busy. I asked if they had Joe Finch's book of kiln construction, but they didn't know offhand and didn't have time to check. Sorry!

I think you will be disappointed in Cool Ice. It is Southern Ice formulated for cone 6 but it is not as translucent as Frost. Seattle Pottery Supply is one of the best stocked ceramic supply stores in the country. I even have to sometimes order from them even though shipping from WA to GA is a killer because no one else has what I'm looking for. Unless Laguna stops making Frost, I find it hard to believe SPS plans to stop stocking it. The cone 6 porcelain you use (I forget the name) is the only clay I know of that looks like from the pictures you've posted to be as translucent (or maybe even more translucent--which will turn my world upside down!) as Frost.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#39 mudma1999

mudma1999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Just back from Seattle and Clay Art in Tacoma. You can get Frost at Clay Art but I was disappointed that I couldn't get NZ6 as they were out of one of the ingredients and couldn't make it Posted Image. It was one of the reasons I went there,... sigh I will now have to order it at a higher price from my local supplier. Will do a shrinkage test for both Frost and the Grolleg next week and then start testing glazes. I so wish I could test NZ6 at the same time, I know I'm officially whining now.

#40 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Mark

Jim

Great idea. Do you glaze them?
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users