• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Several people have mentioned throwing with a raised wheel. Since this sounds less wearing on the back, I'm wondering if some who throw from a raised wheel could give guidance on how the height of a raised wheel relates to their throwing positions. I could easily manage a platform to raise the wheel, but I don't have a clue where to start with dimensions. I have an older Brent model B wheel, and wonder if there are other adjustments that would need to be made. Thanks for any input.

#2 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Some wheels have feet extensions you can purchase. I am not sure if Brent makes them or if there are compatible parts to purchase. There probably are. One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to raise the wheel is with cinderblocks.

My wheel is about 8 inches taller than the standard legs allow. I am sitting somewhat upright when I throw but I still have control. To me, the right height is where you can find the balance of control and comfort. That height is different for everyone.

Once you make the change, you will not believe you threw for so long without the extensions!

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

You can make your own extentions from Plastic drain pipe or buy some Brent Booties which raise the legs 2 or 4 inches your choice (they are steel extensions)
http://www.bigcerami...brentwheels.htm
all the ceramic supplies sell them just do a web search on brent booties
You will need to find the best height to throw for you and that takes some trail and error.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 Natania

Natania

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I just put mine on cinder blocks. I am 5'4" and it seems just about right...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users