11 replies to this topic

#1 mrpeders

mrpeders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Several people have mentioned throwing with a raised wheel. Since this sounds less wearing on the back, I'm wondering if some who throw from a raised wheel could give guidance on how the height of a raised wheel relates to their throwing positions. I could easily manage a platform to raise the wheel, but I don't have a clue where to start with dimensions. I have an older Brent model B wheel, and wonder if there are other adjustments that would need to be made. Thanks for any input.

#2 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Some wheels have feet extensions you can purchase. I am not sure if Brent makes them or if there are compatible parts to purchase. There probably are. One of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to raise the wheel is with cinderblocks.

My wheel is about 8 inches taller than the standard legs allow. I am sitting somewhat upright when I throw but I still have control. To me, the right height is where you can find the balance of control and comfort. That height is different for everyone.

Once you make the change, you will not believe you threw for so long without the extensions!

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

You can make your own extentions from Plastic drain pipe or buy some Brent Booties which raise the legs 2 or 4 inches your choice (they are steel extensions)
http://www.bigcerami...brentwheels.htm
all the ceramic supplies sell them just do a web search on brent booties
You will need to find the best height to throw for you and that takes some trail and error.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 Natania

Natania

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I just put mine on cinder blocks. I am 5'4" and it seems just about right...

#5 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Are the Brent booties compatible on other wheels or does anyone have plans for DIY extensions? I need to outfit another wheel. It is a baileys

#6 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 3rd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

I have a Bailey and they sell leg extensions as well. I got the ones to raise it high enough to stand at, they also make a shorter set for sitting but higher up than normal.

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#7 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted Yesterday, 08:20 PM

I have that on my other wheel as well, just the shipping is the same cost as the legs so I was hoping to find alternatives.

#8 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 PM

if you can figure out what height is just right, there is a way to do what you want.  measure the diameter of the legs, get some pieces of schedule 40 white pvc pipe a little bigger so the legs will fit inside.  the support that takes the weight of the wheel depends on the legs.  if they are capped firmly, smaller diameter pipe inside will work.  otherwise, drill holes for half inch bolts that will hold the weight.   

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#9 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationNE Pennsylvania, USA

Posted Today, 07:42 AM

Neil had posted an image of his shop made frame he uses to lift his wheel. IMO its the best one I've seen and looks easy to make. Hopefully he'll post that image again.

Ron

#10 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted Today, 07:52 AM

Thanks Ron. I built this out of scrap lumber. They key is lots of bracing- it has to be solid or the wheel can vibrate. Height-wise, I like the wheel head at about hip level. I would first prop it up on cinder blocks or something to figure out exactly how high you want it before building a stand.

Wheel-Stand.jpg

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#11 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted Today, 11:01 AM

Nice. Thanks! I saw the Pacifica extender is much cheaper. Anyone tried it on a bailey? My thinking is that for the short extensions, the inner tube dimension is really the only factor because frame shape would be irrelevant except if I needed the braces.

#12 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

I doubt it will be steady enough without the cross braces.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)