Amaco Velvet and Amaco LUG underglazes

Pugaboo

I am just starting out and looking to buy my own selection of underglazes. I have decided on the Amaco line but am not sure what I am missing in comparing their Velvet series and their Liquid Under Glaze (LUG) line. Can anyone tell me the differences between the lines?

I went to an image transfer workshop a couple of years ago with AMACO'a Jeff Sandoe. They were introducing the LUGs. I think they are all rated for higher temperatures than the Velvets.

We used them for creating images on plaster slabs and pouring slip on top of the image. The slip dries and the image is inlaid into the surface. It was an interesting class.

Marcia

Thanks Chris. I checked out the site and some of their examples and decided to go with the LUG line at least to start. I've ordered both sets of the LUG 2 oz jars to try them all out. The velvets say they are semi translucent and the LUGs say opaque and for now as I learn how they are going to interact with each other and the kiln not dealing with the additional color interactions involved with translucent colors will be easier for me. I think anyway! As a painter inks are semi transparent and acrylic paints opaque and they each have to be used differently and their color reactions to the colors around and under them all have to be allowed for. This is my first time doing anything with clay so am figuring it out as I go. Thank you again for the link I actually saw they also have pastels and pencils that might be interesting to try as well.

Terry

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's the difference I found between the two: while LUG underglazes are MORE opaque, than the Velvets, they also dried out the over coat glaze as well. (Some do some don't.)

By "dried out" I'm referring to glaze pitting.  

To aid the glaze in smoothing out/melting I add a little Zinc Free Clear to the underglaze.

Another way to reduce this pitting, I found, was to use the LUG White as a base and then use Mason Stains to color the underglaze. Again some stains  can easily reach the opaque state and some can't. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:17 PM, Kathryn Farnsworth said:

Pugaboo said LUGs are opaque and velvet are  translucent. Is that true? That would be so handy to know. I don’t see it in the information from Amaco. Can anyone verify this information?

Just an FYI for ideas  - Most underglazes can be thinned to be a wash or semi transparent.

7A9CFA81-FCD8-4BB7-BBB0-C99A8B6625CA.jpeg

Archived