#1 cstovin

cstovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?
Thank you all!

Charlene

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I like leather hard stage for inscribing on the surface.

Marcia

#3 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hello

When you write sayings, quotes, etc on your clay surfaces what do you find works best? Rubber stamps? Hand lettering? Stencils? Metal Stamps? Is there something I am not mentioning?

Also, when wanting to inscribe something on your clay surface, what is the best time to add it; when it is rolled or thrown? After it is leather hard? Suggestions?
Thank you all!

Charlene

I find that wooden stamps work the best, they don't stick. Rubber sticks unless you use cornstarch. I haven't used metal. If I want to write on the clay, I have found that a pencil with a rounded point makes a nice line. If there are edges scraped up when I write, I wait until they are harder, not dry, and just brush off with my fingers or a flat trimming tool.

#4 cstovin

cstovin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you, can't wait to try again - I think I must be trying when it is too wet; most of the time I get a goopy clay string to pick out of my impressions;
C.

#5 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#6 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hello

Thank you all!

Charlene

I am used to doing calligraphy on paper, so when it came to working on the clay, I made a bamboo tool out of a chopstick that was shaped like a C Speedball tip. Working with lines and curves for the lettering line, I would test out on paper then work it on the clay doing the same strokes. If done when the clay is just leather hard, you can get a pretty good edge that goes from thick to thin.

Ooh - I just love to see when people can do calligraphy! Such a lost art
Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users