Mason Stain used as ink for stamp pad?

Brain Picking Time,

And dont tell me that its slim pickins as I know full well there is a wealth of knowledge out there.rolleyes.gif

I am thinking of doing a large number of pieces that need to have a repetive graphic. Something not to detailed but is stamped one image at a time.

So am wondering if anyone has any experience using diluted Mason stain as an ink for a stamp pad. I have looked at the forums and havent quite found exactly what I am looking for. I would be using a rubber stamp of my own design. If there is something better for this process or is there an ink that would withstand ^6 firing. I would sure appreciate learning about it. I will be working on Porcelain and Stoneware.

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Check out this link. There is discussion of how to make ceramic ink using Mason stain:

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/photo-lithography-on-clay-a-surprisingly-simple-way-to-print-images-on-clay/

I would expect that putting your homemade ink on a pad and using a brayer to transfer the ink to your stamp would be the best. A few experiments would educate you on that.

I have some linseed oil and Mason stains at home, so maybe I should try this myself (thanks for the inspiration.)

John

Check out this link. There is discussion of how to make ceramic ink using Mason stain:

http://ceramicartsda...images-on-clay/

I would expect that putting your homemade ink on a pad and using a brayer to transfer the ink to your stamp would be the best. A few experiments would educate you on that.

I have some linseed oil and Mason stains at home, so maybe I should try this myself (thanks for the inspiration.)

John

John,

The link you suggested is tickling my grey, very grey cells. But my curiosity is being peaked by your mention of Linseed oil and Mason stains. Can you give me more info on this.

Thanks,

RJ

You have all been a great help. Thank you, Thank you. I am excited to try all the suggestions, so many choices and such a short lifetime. Think if I lived to be 1000 and tried something new there would still be eaons of things to learn. Love the Minn. clay site. You tube can consume me there are so many neat things to see. I will experiment with these suggestions and let you know what worked best.

Again

Thanks,

RJ

You have all been a great help. Thank you, Thank you. I am excited to try all the suggestions, so many choices and such a short lifetime. Think if I lived to be 1000 and tried something new there would still be eaons of things to learn. Love the Minn. clay site. You tube can consume me there are so many neat things to see. I will experiment with these suggestions and let you know what worked best.

Again

Thanks,

RJ

I have used sponges and ink pads in the past to stamp a rubber stamp symbol that contains text and graphics on my chalices and patens for a customer. I have used commercial pads, and my own. My own used commercial stains, iron oxide or cobalt mixed with linseed oil. I tried these on sponges, but found that I got too much ink. Later I tried gluing a thick piece of felt on to a board, and inking the felt, pressing the stamp into the felt firmly and evenly gives me the clean image over glaze. I then atomize the stamped area with more glaze before firing. Be certain to make a thin ink, not really thick.

• 3 months later...

Archived