22 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

My favorite shade of celedon is a pale green with a tint of blue. My friend Gayle Baird told me about the addition of Black stain to tone down the copper in Ox.
The original question was for a cone 6 celedon in Oxidation. I think most of us are aware that the original Chinese celedon is fired in reduction in wood kilns. Here are 2 examples of a celedon fired to ^10 reduction (Right) and a faux Oxidation celedon fired at ^6.(Left)

BTW the one on the right used burnt umber as the colorant.

Thank you for the formulas Marcia. I know of HS teacher that is looking for a celedon. I will send these to her. Your posts are always interesting and informative.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 AtomicAxe

AtomicAxe

Skilled Mud Bug

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

In cone 6 ... very low colorant levels and a clear glaze are the key to a fake celedon ... my studio celedon is a dolomite matte glaze with .75% cobalt carb and .5% nickle as the colorants ... That way I can achieve a soft bluish teal with a buttery smooth surface. Really it depends on you're will and wants on this ... the three colorants you should consider is cobalt, copper and nickle ... seen yellowish green celedons but nah ... stick to a blue green of your own preference.

#23 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

For faux cone 6 celedons very low levels of Mason stains (like Robin's Egg Blue) work well if you're looking for an icy blue. Also, if in the mood for testing your favorite fake celedon, try 2% or so tin oxide and/or bone ash. Just a little tin makes most celedon's more interesting.

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users