Pottery that sells at Christmas

Hi all,

I have a shop that sells all handcrafted goods, made in America, and would like to know your opinions on what sells at Christmas. It is time to let my potters know what I would like to carry, and also start making small simple things myself. I am thinking that small ornaments for the Christmas tree with favorite sports teams or animals on them would be a good seller, also soap dishes with soap and mugs? Do mugs sell for Christmas? I have been having great success with my handbuilt platters and bowls, thrown, to sell for nachos and also cereal/chili/ice cream bowls have done well. Do these sell at Christmas?

Also, so many of the potters who come in make decorative, rather than functional, pottery, and in my shop, I haven't sold any decorative pottery, but lots,of functional pottery has happily gone out the door, with repeat customers. Is this normal, or a function of the economy?

Thanks for suggestions, all!

Nancy

I have sold pottery for 35 christmas seasons-I run a booth for the two weeks before x-mas.Its in a small shopping center-The past 6 years its in front of a local pet store.

I only make functional pottery and a few wall fish-it all sells very well-I sell a few large forms as big gifts but mostly small forms

My top sellers are Mugs-bowls-pie plates-the wall fish-all small forms-glasses-butterdishes-dinnerware-teapots-cookie jars

Here is my lockable booth-I run it 6 hours every day.

Mark

post-8914-134288860982_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134288862395_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134288860982_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134288862395_thumb.jpg

Man, I continue to be impressed by you! The locking shelves are amazing. So clever and practicle. Wonder how I could adapt my shelves to that concept. Bet yours were built with the plan in mind.

These shelves are at least 6th generation-I had a fine wood worker make them from my plan-this whole booth folds flat,

Mark

Thanks for the information, Mark! It was very helpful. I see you made soap dispensers, too. I have to learn how to make those!

I am amazed at the gorgeous stuff I could see on the shelves! I am going to check out your website! Thanks,

Nancy

Thanks for the information, Mark! It was very helpful. I see you made soap dispensers, too. I have to learn how to make those!

I am amazed at the gorgeous stuff I could see on the shelves! Do you have a website? Thanks,

Nancy

If soap dispensers are on your make list learn from the start to make the top threaded so no glue is involved as it always lets go and your customers will be unhappy.You can order the stuff to press mold the threads from Axner-they carry two different sizes for two different shrinkage rates.I strife to make stuff that works and works well-threaded tops are the way to go.

as far as this x-mas booth its made just for this location and is put away the rest of year-Its all hardwood plywood- my sales person/bags paper all fit inside.lights and table  pack inside every night.

I have a love hate thing with x-mas-the money is great but That season grinds on me- I have one of my biggest shows in Arizona 1st weekend of December then drive two days then put this booth up for between 12-18 days depending on how the dates fall every year. People know I'll be at this location every year and I have a big following as its my local market.

I close this booth x-mas eve every year and spend 6 weeks not in studio doing book keeping and other stuff.By x-mas eve I do not want to talk to another customer till spring.

As I get older money is not the most motivating factor anymore. I'm starting to wonder just how many pots does one have in them I'm on my 375,078.00th I feel sometimes

I quit taking custom orders a few years ago-should have do it 2o years ago.

Mark

If soap dispensers are on your make list learn from the start to make the top threaded so no glue is involved as it always lets go and your customers will be unhappy.You can order the stuff to press mold the threads from Axner-they carry two different sizes for two different shrinkage rates.I strife to make stuff that works and works well-threaded tops are the way to go.

as far as this x-mas booth its made just for this location and is put away the rest of year-Its all hardwood plywood- my sales person/bags paper all fit inside.lights and table  pack inside every night.

I have a love hate thing with x-mas-the money is great but That season grinds on me- I have one of my biggest shows in Arizona 1st weekend of December then drive two days then put this booth up for between 12-18 days depending on how the dates fall every year. People know I'll be at this location every year and I have a big following as its my local market.

I close this booth x-mas eve every year and spend 6 weeks not in studio doing book keeping and other stuff.By x-mas eve I do not want to talk to another customer till spring.

As I get older money is not the most motivating factor anymore. I'm starting to wonder just how many pots does one have in them I'm on my 375,078.00th I feel sometimes

I quit taking custom orders a few years ago-should have do it 2o years ago.

Mark

I do wonder how potters who throw a lot and make a lot keep themselves motivated. I would think that coming up with new things all the time would be exciting, but those are not necessarily things customers want to buy. It must be a conundrum. I know it sounds so glamorous, but I think being a potter for a living must be very difficult, and hard on the body.

I have a very successful jewelry artist in my shop, and she absolutely refuses to make anything custom. She says it is not worth the aggravation.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience, and all your hard fought knowledge. Thank you so much, Nancy

Nancylee;

You were asking what sells at Christmas. I find that small candle holders-a footed bowl with rim and a round candle sell well. Any type of votif candle and small centre pieces with tea lights all sell. It is a darker time of year and people want things where they can see the direct function. Lots of women buy small gifts for their child's teacher,and their fellow office worker, as well as hostess gifts for parties.

Are we thinking Christmas already? The weather has been great!I guess I better hop on my wheel and start making.

Another idea are porcelain bells thrown off the hump with a small tinkly ringer attached inside with fishing line. Too fiddly for me.

Merry Christmas! TJR.

Thanks, TJR! I guess I am thinking Christmas because I just read a potter stopped taking Christmas orders already! Yikes! Also, it has gotten down into the 40s at night here, makes me think of fall.

Great suggestions, I appreciate your help,

Nancy

Nancy, I find that the things that sell well during the holidays are the same things that sell well during the year. Which in my case is mostly everyday functional stuff. I do make tree ornaments during the fall for the holiday sales, but that's the only change I make to my inventory. Soap dishes with soap sound great, and mugs are essential to have lots of!

And it's not to early to start thinking about that now! Especially if you need to place orders with other artists.

Mea

I make candle holders more at x-mas as I find they sell better than-But as Gep said it all sells then.

Mark

Nancy,

In the few shows I have been in, the simple decorations I make with cookie cutters sell well. I do these out of different colored clays. I decorate fairly meticulously with slips, oxides, stains and glazes. In short, many of these could be called test tiles or experiments--no two are alike and I fuss over them. I put really good ribbon and hang them on a tree at my booth. I string them with really pretty ribbon I purchase in Toronto at a specialty store. These sell for $5-7 bucks. Not much given the time put into each piece. I have had stores call me locally asking for them subsequent to my last show. Seems people want to leave a craft market or store with "something." It does get people to your table to maybe look at other items.

Nelly

Archived