I've heard several pottery swear by a surform, some saying they couldn't do without it.

I have attempted several times to get a good grasp of using one, but it sure is not my favorite tool.

What is the proper dryness stage to use it, and how do you go about smoothing the surface out after you use

it, if you decide you want it smooth?

I am sure....I am doing something not quite right.

Any tips?

I thank all who offer help and suggestions.

juli

Juli, I use my small hand-held ones when the clay is leather hard ( like a good aged cheddar) and when close to what I want, ease up on the pressure so the grooves aren't as deep, then use a metal rib to finish the surface. If there are small imperfections, I brush on some terra sig and work that in. I'm sure there are other ways, but this is mine.

Marcia, and Idaho Potter,

Thanks for the help. From reading your responses, I think I am being a little too aggressive, and not lighting up at the end. I, too, work it at the leather hard stage, but thought it might

need to be a bit dryer to avoid the deep grooves, but I now think not. I will go back and lightly fine tune, and then use a rib to smooth and maybe a slip to fill.

juli

didn't attach on first attempt. sorry. This is how I refine the edges of large tarpaper foams.

Marcia

Earlier you mentioned the use of hack saw blades. I have always used hack saw blades to sharpen up edges, and make certain joins have continuity. I used to also have access to used band saw blades. Different blades would have close or far distanced teeth that would allow fast removal of material and then use finer blades to clean up, then the flat edge to finish. These days I rely on packages of 50 hacksaw blades to get the work done. Some I will heat up to bend into hoop tools and other trimmers.

Archived